Bathroom vinyl onto Caberboard

Personally I still disagree with sticking any sheet vinyl...

...unless its a large area (over 5 linear metres)

My fitters will even then use double sided tape

....this is purely due to the damage that will be caused by using an adhesive.

Of course we are talking only about a domestic situation not a commercial one (where sheet vinyl would not be chosen anyhow).

Maybe a sensible question to ask your fitter would be "why/what is the need to stick?"

Be aware that by the time you have paid for screed and the labour to apply it, Primer and labour, adhesive and the labour to apply it, plus the vinyl and the labour to lay it you have almost paid for LVT which is a much more durable, tougher and visually more attractive product...

;)

Sponsored Links
just use feather finish it makes everything stick and hey its a peice of vinyl not amtico

Thanks fro the replies.

What is LVT? And what is a feather finish?

I want the vinyl fully adhered in the kitchen because we have a couple of stools and I don't want the vinyl stretching where they will be positioned. Of course, I realise that adhering the vinyl will not fully prevent this happening; only not sitting on them will do that!

Also, having spoken with the various tech departments, they all say the same thing, use WBP on the Caberfloor and leveling screed on the anhydride screed. But they also say, this is following the (whatever British Standard number) guidelines for commercial installations and most domestic users, like myself, lay it the way that we want. They also say that expansion/contraction of the vinyl and Caberfloor is only really an issue if the UFh temp is greater than 30 degrees, which would be uncomfortably warm to walk on. As my UFH is water based, the floor temp is unlikely to be above 23 degrees.

The installer is adamant that he will only install if I use WBP on the Caberfloor but will install on my anhydride screed if I prime with Stopgap P121.

So my decision is this; get him to install the sheet vinyl on the ground floor, adhering it to the screed and have him supply me with sufficient vinyl for me to work out, how to install in the Caberfloored bathroom. I will only adhere it to the threshold and just lay it elsewhere.

Thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated, even if I drew a bit of flak.

Rex

...flak? :LOL:

No - but when you are trying to work and answer questions on here, posters some times get the brunt of "my mood of the day" :oops:

However in my defence the full story took a while to come out :!:

LVT or luxury vinyl tile comes via many manufacturers - Amtico, Karndean, Polyfloor, Distinctive, etc etc. It is towards the top of the tree expense wise - count on £60m2 plus supplied and fitted, BUT...

...it is as tough as old boots, (B & Q, Marks and Sparks etc all use it in their stores) - your stools wont even start to worry it!!!!

Be aware that sheet vinyl, whether stuck down or not, is not particularly happy when objects are constantly dragged across it, in other words the adhesive serves no tangible purpose in your case...

I am afraid that really your fitter is correct - and you will have to trust that he is the expert not you and be wary of "standards" and spec sheets, fitters live in the real world, where customers (quite rightly) complain if they are dissatisfied.

...Feather finish - is a thin screed used for small repairs or small ramps etc, You would still need to be aware of priming and most importantly the destructive results of using and adhesive

....SEE - I am usually chilled on saturday - Beer n Curry night :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the explanation. I had wondered if LVT Louis Vitton Tiles; at £60+ per m2, they are certainly in the designer price range.

Rex

no need to use primer with feather finish as it is its own primer anyway feather finish micro coat tis good ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back