Bathroom wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm going to be wiring up my new bathroom, I have an extract fan, underfloor heating, electrical element for towel radiator and a heated LED mirror to wire in. I have bought a six way consumer unit and am going to power them from this using the shower supply cable (as changed from electric shower to a boiler fed mixer shower) do I need to put these all on fused Spurs or will it be ok straight from consumer unit? I was going to put a fused spur/switch for radiator as I won't need the element during winter only when central heating off.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mark.

Sponsored Links
I'll let others comment on other aspects, but you don't really need the consumer unit at all

Underfloor heating - dependant on size, spur from socket circuit
Fan - take from the lighting circuit (this is a must really)
LED cabinet - permanent feed from lighting circuit
Heated towel rail - spur from socket circuit (size dependent)

I didn't want to have several spur sockets outside the bathroom and as have the shower supply thought it would be easier to put the consumer unit in and run everything from there. The socket circuit doesn't go that close to bathroom without a lot of retiring to allow this. The fan I wanted to be able to switch this on and off without being dependant on the lighting so would have a double switch outside for the lights and fan.

Yes the mains supply is RCD protected.

Mark.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the information. Well you know the layout and that's your solution then fine. If the supply is rcd protected that's great but remember if anything in the bathroom trips the rcd you will also loose the bathroom lights. :)

Regards,

DS

Cheers for the info DS. The lighting will be off the existing lighting so will be fed from the main consumer unit.

Mark.

Well if all you require is a supply for UFH and a towel rail element the consumer unit is overkill, you can have 2x fcu's fed from 6mm supply. The fan, mirror lighting and lighting can be fed from the existing lighting circuit,if all circuits are rcd protected.

Regards,

DS

I have bought a six way consumer unit and am going to power them from this using the shower supply cable (as changed from electric shower to a boiler fed mixer shower) do I need to put these all on fused Spurs or will it be ok straight from consumer unit?
It's hard to see how anybody who was genuinely competent to install a CU, design and install the final circuits, carry out all the live and dead tests, issue an EIC for the work and convince Building Control that he'd be able to comply with Part P would be asking a question like that.

I strongly advise that you get an electrician.

I have bought a six way consumer unit and am going to power them from this using the shower supply cable (as changed from electric shower to a boiler fed mixer shower) do I need to put these all on fused Spurs or will it be ok straight from consumer unit?
It's hard to see how anybody who was genuinely competent to install a CU, design and install the final circuits, carry out all the live and dead tests, issue an EIC for the work and convince Building Control that he'd be able to comply with Part P would be asking a question like that.

I strongly advise that you get an electrician.

Only one person has advised to get in an electrician!!!!!

Has the bonding been checked?
How will the op test?
Is it notifiable?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back