Battle of the roofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having got two roofers round on the same day, one recomending singly ply, the other felt. Both with hatred for the other. It seems a very marmite situation. Is it that the felters who have bought all the kit want to use it to justify the expence, while people with no kit would want to fit the single plys that need less tools?

Does anyone have any experience with failures or any roofing types? Does anyone have any experience with DIY installs? (Both as the DIYer installing, or from fixing a bodged job)

I know this has been discussed before in relation to specific circumstances, but this is an open question about a comparison of the different systems in general. Are there times when one IS better than the other, but not always?

I would love to hear from a profesional roofer who installs both single ply AND felt.

Cheers,
Fubar.

Sponsored Links
When you state 'single ply' are you referring to EPDM or fibreglass or similar?

I'm a bit confused.

Either way, as long as a product is installed professionally and correctly then they will all offer at least 25+ years of a trouble free roof.

I'm trying not to ask about a specific roofing for any specific instance. Just the general pro's and con's of each (so, including EPDM, PVC, fiberglass... etc)

With regard to being properly installed, which is the easiest to DIY? What are the most obvious pitfalls... etc?

Fubar.

Sponsored Links
We fit approx 30,000m2 of S/P a year and 40,000 Felt.

Thats proper single ply. Single ply more prone to damage by following trades, but all much of a muchness.

More skill required to install felt systems.

Hi Xenon,

What do you mean by proper single ply? Is that meaning to exclude fiberglass / cold paint... etc?

Fubar.

You will always get differing opinions on what product to use. Some roofers prefer what they have always used ie. felt. some try to get away from hot works. I wouldn't say one is better than another if installed correctly

and i agree, EPDM is by far the easiest to install DIY. I teach home owners how to install epdm quite often at my branch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back