Baxi 105E Instant with external E.V.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read numerous posts about the fitting an external expansion vessel but would like to ask something more specific regarding my particular boiler.

The Baxi in my garage (4 1/2 years old) is an instant and has caused quite a few issues with pressure when hot. The vessel has already been replaced by Baxi themselves but for a good few months it has started rising to 3 bar and if I crank the thermostat up full it can pop the safety valve.

I was recently told by an engineer that the vessel inside could not cope with the increase in pressure due to its capacity being reduced because of the stored water function, hence the over pressure when the heating is on high. He did also say the best way around this was to leave the internal vessel as it was and fit an external one.

The first question, would you agree with this diagnosis?

My second subject is about the fitting of an external vessel. I believe it has to go as near to the boiler return feed as possible, so is it a case of joining into the return pipe and connecting it to the external expansion vessel which I could fix at boiler height to the garage wall? If this is so I am happy to undertake this myself so long as their are no safety issues. I have previously relocated radiators myself and have no problem with pipes and joints or draining and refilling the system.

If all is well so far, we live in a slightly extended 3 bed detached, 11 rads but a couple of decent sized doubles downstairs. What capacity expansion vessel would you recommend, and any particular brand. I have seen them on toolstation for arould £20.00 rising to around £60.00 on others. Would a lower end suit my needs?

Thanks in advance and hope I am not asking too much.

best regards,

Mal

Sponsored Links
what he really means is he can't be arsed to take it off the wall to fit a new one :rolleyes:

What I really mean is exactly what I aked in my post. The boiler is 5 yrs old in July and if I fit another vessel this will be its third.

Sponsored Links
Just fit another one in a convenient place. It does not really matter where!

Vesells fail because they are only just big enough due to size constraints within the boiler!!

I often fit secondary vesells on new installations as the ones fitted are borderline! Keeps hot system pressure to sensible levels as well!

Who wants to be removing a boiler to replace a poxy 8L vesell?

In this scenario bigger is definately better! ;)

Ps. Try abcot or antares !

BAxi say you cannot fit external ones on this model summink about the heat store within the EXV!

Bax, just the man, will I be able to replace the EV on a performa without taking it off the wall? I have just about 450mm clearance above the boiler?

Side flue?
No problem, remove the gas valve and it's a doddle.

Fitting an additional expansion vessel can only be beneficial

I agree with "additional" one

but can we put and external one to "replace" the kanckered one in a 105 instant??

if the ex vessel is knackered and you fit an external one , would that therefore mean the heatstore capacity is increased.

What I am asking fritz is clarification from Baxman that you can fit an external vessel on this model as Baxi Tech line say No

Also I think the heat store is a seperate bit in the EXV so how can putting a bigger EXV in increase its size??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back