Baxi 105HE losing pressure and air in system

Check condense pipe, if it drips continuously Heateam need to replace the secondary heat exchanger

Sponsored Links
Ta Jordon: The Heat Team Eng actually filled when hot up to around 1.5bar and the air in the system appeared to go. Heating is on at the moment, so I won't play around with it. I'll wait until tomorrow.
Is it worth re-pressurising and closing the 2 taps below the boiler or should I simply refill and wait and see if the pressure drops again? Should I observe the release valve outside? There has been some water, etc. exhausted, but not sure exactly when.

As already said check the condense pipe for constant dripping, i have come across 4 of these boilers leaking through secondary heat exchanger

Cheers Spudkey. I re-pressurised this morning to 1.5 bar. I'll have a look at release outside when I get home. I appreciate the help chaps.

Sponsored Links
OK. Pressure redone when boiler cold and not working. Set it to 1.5bar, as per the Heat Team engineer who came last week. That was yesterday morning (Monday). The heating seemed to come on OK and the system was quiet when I got home from work. However, my Fiancée was using hot water and there was staining on the wall outside where the pressure had exhausted. This was worse than previously noticed. The system was quite noisy with air and I noticed a little later that there was 0 pressure in the boiler.
I have a problem, don't I? What do you advise I do next? I do appreciate the help, by the way.

OK. Pressure redone when boiler cold and not working. Set it to 1.5bar, as per the Heat Team engineer who came last week. That was yesterday morning (Monday). The heating seemed to come on OK and the system was quiet when I got home from work. However, my Fiancée was using hot water and there was staining on the wall outside where the pressure had exhausted. This was worse than previously noticed. The system was quite noisy with air and I noticed a little later that there was 0 pressure in the boiler.
I have a problem, don't I? What do you advise I do next? I do appreciate the help, by the way.

Could well be a faulty expansion vessel, then. If that is the case then it wont be hard for an RGI to fix.

I would defo go with the expansion vessel being faulty especially if you are getting water from your Pressure Relief Pipe outside after topping up.
If you can get to the top of your boiler you will see the big red vessel behind it, take off the cap (Same as a tyre cap only red) and push the inner valve for a second or two, if any water comes out at all it needs replacing. If no water comes out get Heat Team back out and make sure they check the pressure of the vessel as it should be roughly 3 Bar, if it is not make sure they drain down before pumping up.
Could of course be as simple as your Pressure Reducing Valve needing replacing as if anyone has turned this previously it could be knackered as they tend to be one turn only jobs.

I assume that I should do any work on the boiler with it cold and the boiler turned off? The valve check seems pretty straight forward. I guess I could either do that myself or simply ask for Heat Team to come back and relate this history. It seems that I should do the check, though. Thanks guys.

I'd just like to say a big thank you to spudkey, electronicsuk, baxpoti and nogoodatfaultfinding. The problem is fixed. I got Heat Team back out in the end, as suggested. The expansion vessel was the problem. The engineer vented it, I believe, and then re-pressurised it with his foot pump. Ran system, cleared air, etc. and it's so quiet. I'm so glad it's insured, but thanks to you guys for your help and support.
Cheers.

I do not know whether it is the right place to post my problem or not. I have a Baxi Combi boiler 105HE about 4-5years old and has started loosing pressure. When the heating is on the pressure is fine, but when no heating is on and the water on pre heat pressure bar is at 0, So I keep having to use the valves to increase the pressure about every 2 - 3 days? when the pressure is zero, it also makes rattling noise which is very annoying and disturbing. I have seem some water leakage from the outside overspill pipe, also bleeded all the raditors. Air was there, what it is still doing the same.

As suggest in this topic, expansion vessel might be a problem??? Is it expensive job, how much we looking for?

@ s11DIY:

I can't help you on cost, I'm afraid, as my boiler was covered by HeatTeam and didn't cost anything. It only took the engineer about 10 - 15 minutes to sort out. The guy they sent listened to what I said, rather than just get on with it and was able to sort it out.

I do not know whether it is the right place to post my problem or not. I have a Baxi Combi boiler 105HE about 4-5years old and has started loosing pressure. When the heating is on the pressure is fine, but when no heating is on and the water on pre heat pressure bar is at 0, So I keep having to use the valves to increase the pressure about every 2 - 3 days? when the pressure is zero, it also makes rattling noise which is very annoying and disturbing. I have seem some water leakage from the outside overspill pipe, also bleeded all the raditors. Air was there, what it is still doing the same.

As suggest in this topic, expansion vessel might be a problem??? Is it expensive job, how much we looking for?

First off check your blow off outside for water mark and get back to me as topping up your boiler every other day is gonna do some expensive damage!!

Yes I have the same problem and have changed the PRV, the pressure guage and pumped up the pressure vessel. Nothing changed. Then on close inspection noticed a lot of scale around DHW valve and traces of water near plunger that operates the electrical contacts. I then concluded that the DHW diaphragm could be faulty - leaking water. I have ordered one and will change it and report results.

This condition can cause a lot of corrosion in the system as new water containing new oxygen is continually being introduced, so I am determined to solve the problem.

Check the PRV (which should be a small bit of pipework outside directly behind boiler) if this is dripping firstly replace it, if it continues you'll probably need to replace or recharge the expansion vessel. If none of these are any good, then I would disconnect the filling loop incase it's bypassing also if it still leaks then you must have a leak somewhere. The chances of water leaking via the plate heat exchanger are slim but it does happen!. The fact that you r pressure gauge goes mental does point to expansion vessel (big silver or red tank).

James

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back