Baxi 80 HE Fan problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I have a Baxi 80 HE combi boiler - it was newly installed just before i bought the house Sept 2006. The certificate i have from the Corgi person is dated 12/06/06.
Anyway, last night i had no hot water and no central heating. Pressure is 1.5-2 - i tried resetting the boiler, turning off the preheat facility - basically everything i could do from the user controls on the front....which is not a lot.
The red light on the 50 sign is flashing showing a fault on the fan/flue.

I have called the heat team who have told me i am out of warranty (can't believe that i am going to have to pay for a repair on a boiler that is only about 15months old).
Is there anything i can do? Any suggestions?

I work for an electrical firm, so am confident with electrics so don't mind giving some things a go if you think it would save a bit of money??

Sponsored Links
When you turn it on can you here the fan spin before it locks out, or does it just lock out with no attempt to spin.

If latter could be fan gone, test for 230V at fan terminals, if the first could be aps fault.

Don't know these boilers, Is this a combi 80 with a condenser added to make it band B?

You can put power to the fan - If it works it's unlikely to be faulty. Flue/ fan fault indicator could mean blocked flue/air intake, faulty pressure switch or tubes, blocked flue venturi etc.. Start with the most basic cause first.

yeah, it's a combi condensing boiler.

Havent had chance to get the front off yet, but it sounds like it does try to spin, plus the flame ignites too. I will be able to tell better later on tonight when i take the front off and can see it spin or not.

What's 'aps'?

Don't suppose you know a ball park figure of a fan do you? Am i looking at more than £100.00?

Sponsored Links
blockages on the tube or flue - would that just require some flushing out? perhaps removing them and running water through etc?
Or we talking a biogger job?

Heat team have offered £179.00 fixed price including parts and VAT - hmmmmm - seems expensive ?

You seem to have said that the gas ignites!

That excludes the fan but might be the APS, flame detection or PCB.

Tony

If the fan is spinning then apart from a possible blockage in the fan venturi then I don't think it will be this.

The tubes mentioned are the small pastic ones from the fan to th air pressure switch. These could have got blocked, or have a split in one.

If they are ok then it looks loke it could be the aps not holding in with the fan pressure, assuming the fault code given is correct.

Boiler sometimes thorw up erraneous codes!

The Heat Team price is about average for a manufacturer chargeable call out and if major parts were needed then it is good value and warranted.

blockages on the tube or flue - would that just require some flushing out? perhaps removing them and running water through etc?
Or we talking a biogger job?

Heat team have offered £179.00 fixed price including parts and VAT - hmmmmm - seems expensive ?

From reading the above I would suggest that the Heat Team offer might be your cheapest option. No offence.

Try phoning them again because for past 2 years they have been giving 15 months g`tee on these boilers . Standard 12 months with an additional 3 months when regitration card sent in.

This fault is usually the board or faulty sensor all depends how often and for how long it actaully fires up for which you say it is doing occasionally. There is a microswitch on flow valve that has to activate before fan comes on if this is faulty it could give same symptons.. One of those faults somebody can spot by actually being in front of boiler

Air pressure switch part No 5112999 would be my bet.

try and push as hard as you can, if you are on good terms with the installer ask if he could give baxi rep a phone and say he is not happy with a boiler that only lasted 15 mouths, his words will hold more weight then your, the more he fitted in the past the better.

you have a reasonable expectation to have a 15mouth old boiler not to break down, you have some grounds to fight them on this. but they may not too hear it and ignore you

I agree, I've always got goodwill call outs from manufacturers, even Baxi when I fitted them, by going through the local rep when it fails this soon out of warranty and Baxi are also trying to build up a good name again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back