Baxi Bermuda 401 back boiler - Does not ignite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My mum (94yrs old) has had this boiler for over 40 years and had it serviced by BG every year. Suddenly it stopped working last Friday. As per her homeserve agreement the man from BG turned up and eventually diagnosed the fault to a plug / socket Part No. 060055 GC no. 183-968 which he says is obsolete. After that he just walked away. No advice, just said there is nothing he can do. The pilot is on but the boiler does not ignite.

Is the only option a new boiler?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,

My mum (94yrs old) has had this boiler for over 40 years and had it serviced by BG every year. Suddenly it stopped working last Friday. As per her homeserve agreement the man from BG turned up and eventually diagnosed the fault to a plug / socket Part No. 060055 GC no. 183-968 which he says is obsolete. After that he just walked away. No advice, just said there is nothing he can do. The pilot is on but the boiler does not ignite.

Is the only option a new boiler?

Thanks

It is obsolete, but...

It's only a plug and socket, the obvious workaround is to replace both with a simple, cheap choc block/5amp connector.

BG like quoting for new boilers..

Buy this and tell them to get back out and fit it, as above a terminal strip would do the exact same thing, I could sort that in half an hour

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Thanks. I'm going over there tomorrow (I live in Doncaster and my Mum is in Leeds) so I will do as you suggest. It sounds weird to me that a plug and socket can just fail overnight without anyone touching it. I am surprised BG did not do as you have suggested.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks

My mum said she was not certain the BG man had any idea what he was doing!

My mum said she was not certain the BG man had any idea what he was doing!

So maybe not the part needed? It seemed a bit odd, that a plug and socket might suddenly fail, in service, without anyone touching it. Best get someone in, who knows what they are doing. BG are generally not much use, except for selling unnecessary new boilers.

I will check that there is 240v on the incoming and outgoing side of the plug and socket. Then that's me done and I will call in another engineer

I will check that there is 240v on the incoming and outgoing side of the plug and socket. Then that's me done and I will call in another engineer

If the plug/socket has really failed, take along a 5amp choc block/connector and replace it. It may not necessarily have mains volts on it, but that should become obvious when you get sight of it.

Pilot on but boiler doesn’t ignite, I would have thought more external control(s)?

The only time I have seen those plugs failing is when the BBU was sooted up throgh poor servicing and the flames come down the way and melt the plugs, if that is the case then it is BG who didnt service it properly, if not melted I would be very surprised if that actually is the fault

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
A bit of a waste of time today. I didn't realise you had to disconnect the rire from the gas supply and remove it to get access to the plug and socket so no further forward. BG coming out again tomorrow pm and I hope to meet them and convince them to do something positive to get the boiler going, even if I fit the connector block and BG diconnect and reconnect the fire, assuming thier diagnosis was correct and it is the plug and socket at fault. If it is the gas valve they can sort it out because it is coverered under the service contract.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back