baxi bermuda 552 problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have a problem with my baxi bermuda 552. There is a few second delay between the pilot igniting the burner and hence a whoomph can be heard as the unburnt gas ignites. I removed the fire front only and when I initiated the problem again a flame about 2 ft long came out of the back. I have turned the system off.

I think the problem is caused by an insufficient pilot flame or else the needle is not in the flame far enough or it may a case of a good cleaning needed.

Unless there is a more serious fault (i have an engineer coming in on tuesday) i'd like to take the backing off and get to the pilot light to increase the flame myself. I am quite efficient at diy and had the back off last year to give the burners etc a good clean and also adjusted the flame cos the same problem happened last year. I adjusted flame/needle and aftera good clean the problem was fixed. I need help as I have forgotten how to remove covers etc to gain access. p.s. fire front successfully removed.

Sponsored Links
I dont even know what the "needle" you refer to is.

How did you test for gas tightness after removing the fire front? How did you test the flue to see if it was spilling? How did you check the ventilation?

Since BBUs are potentially quite dangerous I am certainly not going to advise you to do anything except call a competent CORGI.

Only last week I saw a BBU where they had built a conservatory across the ventilation.

Firstly, without wanting to be rude, you have disturbed gas connections that only a £orgi can touch :eek:

When was your boiler last serviced? It could be that the pilot is ok but the burner is blocked near the pilot flame so there is no 'immediate' gas to ignite.

These are really basic boilers :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
How did you test for gas tightness after removing the fire front? How did you test the flue to see if it was spilling? How did you check the ventilation?

I didn't !! :oops:

Those are basic tests that a CORGI has to do after working on a BBU.

In that case I confirm that I am correct to advise you to get a competent CORGI to do the job properly and leave you with a safe boiler.

These are one of the boilers which really do need servicing every year to remain safe to use. They suck in all your fluff which blocks important places.

Tony

Agile said:
Those are basic tests that a CORGI has to do after working on a BBU.

In that case I confirm that I am correct to advise you to get a competent CORGI to do the job properly and leave you with a safe boiler.

These are one of the boilers which really do need servicing every year to remain safe to use. They suck in all your fluff which blocks important places.

Tony
I'll take your advice and leave it to a professional. thanks

Often if you have pets ie dogs, I recommend these are service every 6 months due to the dog hairs being drawn in and blocking the air inlet filter (simple term tony, before you correct me with the proper name :rolleyes: )

Just how would my pet iguana or monty the python cause the BBU to block its air inlet?

Dont you need to correct that to say furry or hairy pets like lions or gorillas?

Tony

Been on that good wine Tony? I did eg Dogs if you read again. But if your iguana is hairy or wears a wig then every 6 months would be best :LOL:

Agile do you often play with you snake while siting in front of the fire. :eek:

My wonderous-one-eyed-wonder-worm could clog a burning port at 6'

It would have to be a big bug ger, but I suppose if a big Iguana was shedding its skin the orifices could get filled. :eek:;)

oh dear...

Both lizards and snakes prefer a cooler environment with radiant heat from the sun rather than very hot radiated heat as from a fire.

Although I dont have a lion or gorilla I expect they would like to sit in front of a baxi fire.

If any of you are holidaying in North Devon, I could recommend the hands on tropicaria at the old BBC transmitting station at Washford. Its run by Dr Stephen Smith who lives in the old EiC's office.

Before he developed that, he had a fish shop by the Car Park which he called the Carp Arc. He has a PhD in marine biology which made him well qualified to run a fish shop!

There is also a small museum of radio, see

http://www.wirelessmuseum.org.uk/

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back