baxi duotec 2 GA 28

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the above boiler and want to make it as efficient as I can - the house seems to leak heat like a sieve, despite my best efforts at insulation in the loft. Houses round here are solid wall, many have had green deal external insulation applied but I won't be doing that . . .

I have looked into a number of options for the boiler.

Firstly, weather sensors - can this boiler be fitted with one? And if so, what does it actually do on this boiler? Will it save me £££s?

Second, I like the look of Baxi's own programmable wireless thermostat, BUT the price seems a bit low, does it actually include the receiver? If so, does this replace the clock on the boiler and fill the hole left? Or should I just plump for the honeywell CMT927 (which I also like the look of). Is the Baxi one any good?

The current clock on the boiler is TERRIBLE (its the digital one, you have to press the buttons very hard and it is impossible to set the program without inadvertently turning the heating on or off!).

What temperature should the radiator water be at? If I use the programmable stat, and dont bother with the TRVs, do I need to balance the system to ensure even heating? It has never been balanced!

An in-depth explanation would be appreciated.

Thanks awfully!

Sponsored Links
Insulation! Insulation! Insulation!
Pays for itself for as long as its there and by far the best investment anyone can make.

Weather sensors. Yes they do work and will save some money but if you dont understand and live by the principles on which they work they won't give a viable payback time. Moneys better spent on insulation.

Baxi programmable roomstat. Yes a good investment and its only making and breaking a circuit just like they all do. I'd go for one of those! Look it up- Yes it includes the receiver and fills the hole!

cmt927 - If you like to throw money around. Best to save a bit here and buy some insulation.

I suggest a rad temp of no more than 70ºC but the lower the better really so long as it is keeping your house warm and the kids aren't burning their hands on the rads it's not much of an issue really compared to decent insulation.

Bother with the TRVs! Keep every room temperature no higher than it needs to be to save money but remember to turn them all up to max during the summer when the heating isn't on to help stop them sticking in the closed position.

Balancing radiators tends to be another academic occupation in my book. Only do it if you have radiators really starved of heat after the rest of the system is warmed up. Better to concentrate your thoughts and efforts on investing in some insulation.

I get the impression that you would rather faff about doing all the daft stuff that doesn't make that much difference than investing in the most effective measures.

I'm not intending to be in the house long enough for insulation to pay for itself so that's why I'm reluctant to take that route. Itd cost around £8k to do a wrap around job on my house. whereas the measures discussed here maybe £200 tops. I had my eye on the bg hive system but that's £200 on its own.

Sponsored Links
You asked for an in-depth explanation and got one. You didn't specify, in the first place, about your intention to move. Space heating is based on heat loss rather than heat production. If your building wastes heat you're p**sing in the wind trying anything other than improving the insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back