Baxi smoke tube

Sponsored Links
I hope I haven't been talking complete nonsense guys.

It also says in the instructions "after a further 5 mins with both the boiler and the fire alight, insert a smoke match into the boiler down draught diverter".

My fire is a PW5 and I've been looking at Fig 6 on p7

Not complete nonsense, just Aberdonian Drivel :LOL: just teasing, you said in your post to test the boiler down draught diverter with a smoke match, it doesnt have a downdraught diverter, the fire does as the pic you refer to, that is the fire not the boiler

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Ta Ian. Shame I can do nowt about it until Tuesday when the company are back to work after the Oct holidays. I will keep you all posted though, I would really like to get my own engineer round to do a smoke test as the fire may be working just fine........but I had better wait until the original company have a chance to try again, or whatever their boss suggests. You guys have all made my feel that somebody has my back. Cheers

Sponsored Links
The fire you have is very very reliable, needs very little servicing, unfortunately Aberdeen has a real problem getting Gas Engineers and the ones they do have tend to be of poor quality, as you are in a private let , you are at the bequest of your landlord, I know a good guy in your area , but quite rightfully, he wouldnt touch it without your landlords or letting agents request, it is not your fire it is theirs, did you do as previously asked and remove the lower panel of the fire ? it just pullsoff, only two simple clips, do that and take a pic of what is in there and post it on here

• Thanks
Yes Ian, the landlord let the leasing agent organise the original gas guy for the yearly check...but now the landlord wants to use her own engineer and sweep. (This particular engineer told me he wasn't happy to touch a fire with a BBU - he is a young guy too). I would have no hesitation in getting another engineer in and asking him to carry out a spillage test only - I'm concerned that the fire is perfectly fine...but as you say best to leave it up to them.

I will check the fire when I get home later today and take a pic. I really like the fire, it has been great and I don't want to change it.

Cheers again.

I f your fire was origionally fitted as fire only, which is possible then it will be fine, and doubt if you need a chimney sweep, if it was fitted with a BBU , then sorry it will have to be de-commisioned properly, looking below when you remove the panel I described will let us know, if it does have a BBU would love to see anyone sweep that chimney :LOL: sadly you have been caught up with the industry problem of short course under trained so called engineer who think they know it all, a spillage test at this time is pointless, till we know if you have a bbu or not

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Photo with bottom panel off.

Attachments

• 20211021_153248.jpg
    20211021_153248.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 110
Looks like a bbu behind imo. Plus the visible blanking cap. Ian or 112 should be able to confirm this.

you do indeed have a BBU , but if it has been de-commissioned properly, which it looks like it has then you can indeed keep your gas fire as long as it is serviced and passes the spillage test

• Thanks
that is not a proper gas fitting capping the 3 way tap its a brass one used on water i would take the off and use a black iron one on it

• Thanks
Thanks guys for confirming. Let's hope the 'boss' comes round next week and does a proper smoke tube test....and there is no spillage, fingers crossed. I am really worried about it all the same. If he comes round and doesn't use the smoke tube and a match, just does the same as the young guy and condemns it too I wouldn't know where to go next. I'm worried he takes offence that I'm suggesting his colleague did it wrong and treats me like I'm a silly woman. Of course he may do the proper test and find that the chimney is indeed blocked which would be very embarrassing for me eh? No worries, I will try and forget about it until the boss calls me next week.

Relax, you’re entitled to a second opinion. If the boss doesn’t do it properly then I don’t know where you stand with the landlord, perhaps you might be able to get your own carried out and send him the paperwork?

Your back boiler is still in situ but de-commisioned, the boiler has a flue liner , it will not be blocked, they are talking total rubbish, you dont sweep a liner

Thanks Ian, that is really helpful. I will mention this next week to the boss. I will possibly phone the sweep today and tell him that too and listen to his thoughts about it. Isn't it awful how they didn't even check? I just took a look under it as instructed by Gas112- why couldn't the engineer have known? He is great with boilers, maybe not so knowledgeable about older fires.
More great information for my 'dossier' !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back