baxi solo 2 pf hot hot hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I currently have a Baxi solo 2 pf, and have found that the hot water is VERY hot, and pipework to the hot water cylinder is untouchable, with steam coming from the tank in the loft (this happens a lot, but not all of the time). There is an imersion heater on the cylinder that is unplugged and has not been used in a very long time.

There is no cylinder thermostat on the cylinder, and I have found that the central heating has become very hot too. I find it bizzare that the radiators have TRVs on them, yet even on a low setting they are very hot. If this was just the one radiator I would assume it would be the TRV, but it is all of them.

The boiler fires up, and shuts off a lot. I have tried turning it down by the boiler, but no improvement as it is still too hot.

I came to the conclusion it may be the thermostat inside the boiler that is knackered, could this be the case. Also I would see replacing this is pretty cheap as they are about £20.

Any help would be great,
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I will suggest that the boiler thermostat is faulty and you need to get someone to check the boiler and fix the problem if it hasn't already blown up.

The post is less than an hour old ? you still on the xmas brandy ?

Sponsored Links
Likely to be t/stat, if circulation is fine.

Trv's don't affect the surface temp.of the rads.

The radiator water temperature is governed by the tempertaure control on the boiler it has NOTHING to do with the TRV setting.

The boiler water should never get to the point of turning to steam...perhaps the thermistor has failed AND the overheat thermostat has become detached from the flowpipe..the clip can become brittle and fail.

Hi

I currently have a Baxi solo 2 pf,

Hard luck. A bad choice I made several years ago.

There is no cylinder thermostat on the cylinder, and I have found that the central heating has become very hot too.

It would be a good idea to fit a thermostat even when the boiler is behaving as it cuts demand, otherwise the boiler just uselessly keeps the circulating water hot. If the boiler is misbehaving, then it will at least cut out before things get too out of hand.

The boiler fires up, and shuts off a lot. I have tried turning it down by the boiler, but no improvement as it is still too hot.

The rapid cycling is the behaviour that really gets on my nerves. It may have antique electronics but there was no technical reason why they couldn't have included better cycle control.

I came to the conclusion it may be the thermostat inside the boiler that is knackered, could this be the case. Also I would see replacing this is pretty cheap as they are about £20.

If it is cycling it must still be getting temperature information from somewhere.

You might want to check your motorised valve. If stuck in mid position, the radiators will get hot water even when the room thermostat calls time. Err, do you have a room thermostat? And does the radiator nearest to it have the TRV on full?

He didn't say but I reckon he is gravity hot water pumped heating since he doesn't have cylinder stat. So no motorised valve,Maybe?javascript:emoticon(':?:')

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back