bay windows falling out from top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 1950's art deco curved glass Crittall bay windows in my bungalow. The wooden frame around them is pretty rotten and we are looking to get them replaced/repaired at present.

However, I noticed that there is a crack between the window and the wall both inside and out of the property. This has been there for over 8 months wehn we bought the proprty, but I am sure its getting bigger. After looking at it further I noticed that the crack/space goes right through (I can see daylight from inside!)

It looks as though the window being pushed out/coming away from the house from the top, as the bottom of the crack (3mm) and the top (1cm).

(Doubled fronted with the porch inbetween the two bays) The porch which sits next to this bay window also shows the same amount of movement on the suffix. With over 1cm movement on the suffix, which has moved forward away from the porch brickwork, the same as the window has moved away from the wall, it worries me that the roof is pushing this- is this possible? could it be too heavy or not supported enough?

Please put my mind to rest? thank you

Sponsored Links
Need some pics, get yourself a couple of bits of glass with holes in and screw them to the wall, if it breaks it's still moving(there is a name for them)

Probaly the frames moving and not fixed very well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back