Rebuild Window Bay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a window bay that has tilted outwards, above a porch.

I'm thinking of taking the whole lot off, and start again? The roof is rotten, and i can see a couple of loose bricks under the support. The wood under the window also looks like some is rotten, inside is upvc'd so cant see the state of it.

What would be the best way to rebuild/repair the bay? I'm not sure the porch roof underneath will be usable as support to prop up the window (its a bit "fragile")

Pics attached

Attachments

• bay.jpg
    bay.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 105
Sponsored Links
Either demolish it and rebuild in wood, or demolish and just fit a window. Do you need a bay window?

Any tips on how to rebuild do it? Take windows out first? Take roof off first?

I would take the extra weight off by removing the slates/tiles. You could strip the lathes and felt and tack new felt on to make water tight whilst you replace the problem woodwork.

If it was me, I would measure the inner brickwork, order a window, strip the roof, remove the windows, remove the bottom of the bay and just fit the new window in the opening.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the feedback - in the end i removed it altogether and put a flat window in.

In this case, the roof frame was solid - just the trim was rotten and bottom brick work had nothing holding them together other then the weight of the window board. The whole bottom was loose which allowed the bottom wooden support to move freely...

Took off the inside plaster, measured up for a new flat window.

Fitting wise, roof trimming and top (a metal sheet and a few rotten floorboards), and glass came out first.

then window frames and rest of roof frame.

When the window board came out, the supports and base just fell out... ie the window board was holding the bottom up...

Loose bricks were replaced and then new window fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back