BBC could go

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All the troubles at the BBC could be turned around and used as a stick to beat the beeb with ,this could give the government the leverage to get rid of it, do we want it?

Sponsored Links
Yes. Go to the USA and sample what their commercial radiois like, and their TV. Makes you realise that the BBC is worth having in many, many ways

In my opinion the BBC is the only remaining professional TV producer and broadcaster, with the possible exception of ITV although that organisation is a shadow of its former self since the likes of Thames, ATV and the like disappeared. It's all about money these days.

Sponsored Links
God i actually agree with AS, must go lie down in a dark room for a few days.

100% agree with jobandknock - been to the USA quite a few times in recent years and there TV has nothing on BBC. We don't want to get rid of one of our best television producers in this country.

Although saying that TV does need a bit of a shake up - what's with all these reality TV programs that we get bombard with year after year? Even the mighty X Factor has run its course and now is failing to attract the same audience it once did.

100% agree with jobandknock - been to the USA quite a few times in recent years and there TV has nothing on BBC. We don't want to get rid of one of our best television producers in this country.

Although saying that TV does need a bit of a shake up - what's with all these reality TV programs that we get bombard with year after year? Even the mighty X Factor has run its course and now is failing to attract the same audience it once did.

If it's so good, then it shouldn't have a problem getting people to pay for it on subscription.

Seeing as I watch a few programmes a month (literally), none of which are on the BBC, Why I am having to pay for your "quality" entertainment?

Would you like to pay me a few hundred pounds so that I can have "quality" entertainment round the pub, or the fair?

No, don't think so somehow.......

The only possible justification is to control the quality of news, you have no "right" to quality entertainment, it's absurd that others should be forced to pay for it.

You could argue however we have a "right" to quality news reporting, but that would only need £10 a year, not a month.

And even that I would argue against.

Make it a subscription service.

If you want it, you pay for it.

A licence to watch TV!

It already is! TV licence.

Sorry, was making a sarky comment on how ridiculous it is to have a "licence" to watch TV.

You need a driving licence, a firearms licence, etc.

But a TV Licence, what, will I throw my TV out the window at people if I am not properly licensed?

I don't know why so many people not only tolerate this nonsense, but actively support it.

The license pays for, other than BBC production, the upkeep of the broadcast network. Including the radio you don't have to pay for.

The license pays for, other than BBC production, the upkeep of the broadcast network. Including the radio you don't have to pay for.

The absurd situation of it is if I have a TV only to watch DVD then legally I still need a TV licence.
If I only watch Sky, ITV CH4 tc I stll have to pay for the BBC via a TV licence.
There is no logic in a BBC fully funded by compulsary public subscription, outdated means of funding IMHO.

The absurd situation of it is if I have a TV only to watch DVD then legally I still need a TV licence.

No, you don't.

If I only watch Sky, ITV CH4 tc I stll have to pay for the BBC via a TV licence.

Just consider your entire fee as going to the broadcast network.

There is no logic in a BBC fully funded by compulsary public subscription, outdated means of funding IMHO.
If you're that bothered about it then don't watch it and when you get hassled withdraw their implied right of access to your property...

Its so simple!

You have to have a licence if the tv is capable of receiving signals.
If you use a computer to watch catch up etc, do you need a licence. My guess is no, as the detector van wont find the tv signal.

You have to have a licence if the tv is capable of receiving signals.

No, you have to have a license if you use it to receive broadcast television.

If you use a computer to watch catch up etc, do you need a licence. My guess is no, as the detector van wont find the tv signal.

There's no guessing involved here, it's made pretty clear cut: Any reception of live broadcast TV requires a license. Catch-up (iPlayer ,4OD, etc) does not.

To this day I've never seen their supposed 'detector' equipment. What they have is a database and the ability to look through windows.

Detector vans are a myth...

The BBC can request ip addresses, so you need a licence for PC usage...

Withdraw their implied right of access (physical or otherwise), and if they won't comply you can do them for harrasment under common law...

You may have to repeat the process every couple of years however...

http://www.televisionlicence.info/info/rights

Sponsored Links
Back