BBC could go

Sponsored Links
'Request'? I'm not entirely sure you understand how that works..

Maybe you don't understand RIPA... ;)

They don't 'request' IPs. They HAVE IPs. They can, assuming they have a valid reason, request information as to who was using that IP at a specific time.

Sufficient evidence to ask for release of details over TV licensing is not something they're likely to be able to gather. Much like their 'TV detector vans', it's a scare tactic.

Sufficient evidence to ask for release of details over TV licensing is not something they're likely to be able to gather. Much like their 'TV detector vans', it's a scare tactic.
Sadly not the case...

But then maybe you can show us that they don't use RIPA despite all the reports and FOI answers?...

Sponsored Links
The license pays for, other than BBC production, the upkeep of the broadcast network. Including the radio you don't have to pay for.

And yet plenty of countries provide such networks without license fee's.

It's funny how if you start chucking subsidies about, companies start claiming they can't afford to do it without a bung.

Sadly not the case...

But then maybe you can show us that they don't use RIPA despite all the reports and FOI answers?...

I never said they don't use RIPA. I dispute your statement that their use of RIPA to employ surveillance against people they suspect watch broadcast television without a license (the evidence presented being the ownership of a television without a valid license at the property, and no statement of non-use for the reception of broadcast television) has anything whatsoever to do with iPlayer and 'The BBC can request ip addresses' (a statement which makes clear your knowledge level on IP networking).

I never said they don't use RIPA..
Much like I never mentioned non-live content then... :rolleyes:

I dispute your statement that their use of RIPA to employ surveillance against people they suspect watch broadcast television without a license
I'm talking about requesting information via RIPA...What they then do about it may include 'surveillance'...

a statement which makes clear your knowledge level on IP networking
Oh you mean that an IP address is not absolutely specific?...but that it can still be linked to an account holder?

I guess that makes clear your knowledge about RIPA... :LOL:

I dispute your statement that their use of RIPA to employ surveillance against people they suspect watch broadcast television without a license
I'm talking about requesting information via RIPA...What they then do about it may include 'surveillance'...

And what evidence do you suggest they provide to request information via RIPA? They need more than "oh, this IP uses iPlayer, let's request personal information without any evidence or even suspicion that they're watching broadcast television without a license".

They do not go through the paperwork for nothing, and it takes an awful lot of watching broadcast television over the internet to get them to check up on it.

a statement which makes clear your knowledge level on IP networking
Oh you mean that an IP address is not absolutely specific?...but that it can still be linked to an account holder?

I mean that they already have the IP address. They do not 'request ip addresses'.

All I see here is yet another attempt to argue that the BBC is evil and you shouldn't have to pay to maintain a public service which you are using.

Detector vans are a myth...
In the days of cathode ray tubes they weren't - it was possible to pick-up the signal generated by the guns at the back of the tube. The same principle was used to drive large TV projectors in lecture theatres from small (tube type) computer monitors in the days before LED/LCD screens. The amount of EMR generated by a CRT is amazing. Wouldn't work on today's flat screens, though. You're right about the database, though, that's their main source of information

UK is not the only country to have a TV license.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licence

If you don't watch BBC, you're missing out on some of the best TV in the world. However, if you watch C4, you are also enjoying the benefits of the license, as they get a small proportion of it from time to time.

For me, BBC4 is worth the license fee alone. And that's not including David Attenborough.

Also, 6Music, BBC2, and Mrs Wobs enjoys 5Live....

There is a lot to be critical of the BBC, but the benefits far outweigh the downsides.

TV as a whole is losing viewers though, as we go to internet and games. Not a bad thing on the whole, as there is still much room for improvement, and it might drive for better quality. Commercial stations tend to pander to the lowest common denominator, but the BBC can often serve a wider range of viewers tastes, which is why BBC4 is so good.

If you don't drink cider, you're missing out on some of the best cider in the world. However, if you drink beer, you are also enjoying the benefits of the license, as they get a small proportion of it from time to time.

For me, white lightning cider is worth the license fee alone. And that's not including strongbow.

There is a lot to be critical of the BBC, but the benefits far outweigh the downsides.

If you don't go to the Circus, you're missing out on some of the best entertainment in the world. However, if you go on the bumper cars, you are also enjoying the benefits of the license, as they get a small proportion of it from time to time.

For me, the clowns are worth the license fee alone. And that's not including the acrobats.

Etc.

Pay for your own damn entertainment.

All I see here is yet another attempt to argue that the BBC is evil and you shouldn't have to pay to maintain a public service which you are using.
Hey, I'm probably now in a minority of those who think the licence fee is relatively good value...

I was just pointing out that there are ways to avoid prosecution for non payment of a non binding commercial charge/contract...

Anyone who has knowledge of common law should know that of course..;)

Sky costs us over twice what we pay the BBC. The BBC is very good value if you look at it that way.

If you don't drink cider, you're missing out on some of the best cider in the world. However, if you drink beer, you are also enjoying the benefits of the license, as they get a small proportion of it from time to time.

For me, white lightning cider is worth the license fee alone. And that's not including strongbow.

If you don't go to the Circus, you're missing out on some of the best entertainment in the world. However, if you go on the bumper cars, you are also enjoying the benefits of the license, as they get a small proportion of it from time to time.

For me, the clowns are worth the license fee alone. And that's not including the acrobats.

Etc.

Pay for your own damn entertainment.
We only drink cider that's seen an apple, and ale that tastes like ale. And it's your round.

Sponsored Links
Back