Beam and block or wet pour....advice pls!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Me again, another weird question I hope you can advise on.
Two storey extension (5m x 4m footprint). Digging out the foundations today and my builder says " don't think a crane can drop the concrete floor joists in the garden, we are gonna have to change to a poured floor"
I have 3m hedges around most of the garden, and a couple of very large trees with about 10m gap between them. The gap also includes the local pavement ! Who do I ask...a Crane company or a concrete floor company, to come and have a look? Do concrete floor companies do their own "craning"?!
I'm on the Bucks/Oxon border, any recommendations of companies great fully received.
Thanks,
Spike

Sponsored Links
I used LiteCast last year. Their beams are the lightest in the industry, and I could carry them (at a push) myself on a 3m span.

Who do I ask...
Firstly - your architect.

If your architect says you have options then go for a solid concrete floor. He may suggest conferring with BC in which case ask for a visit.

My thoughts are that if the architect has drawn a B&B floor then there are specific reasons for doing so. As for the practicalities of moving the floor beams - you and your builder will have to figure this one out. Why was this not queried at the pricing stage?

I don't know if this helps but we did a B&B job a couple of years ago that involved large, (craned) floor beams. Rather than go for the large beams, we built a sleeper wall mid-span so that we could use smaller (easily portable) beams. This was not easy as the foundations were going down 8 feet!

All this was discussed with the customer at the pricing stage. I'm one of those weird builders who actually looks at drawings and queries stuff with the customer and architect.

Sponsored Links
As noseall - beam and block floors are normally specified for a reason. The decision to change to solid should be made by somebody who understands the original design/specification.

Thanks for that chaps.
I went for the pour in the end, as the access for the crane was impossible ....apparently!
I appreciate your reply greatly.
Colin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back