Beam Cavity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Back again my extension is progressing slowly but surely. I have come across a problem. How do I close beam cavity. Input will be greately appreciated.

Sponsored Links
how do you mean.

are you talking about when you build up off two parallel steel beams?

noseall said:
how do you mean.

are you talking about when you build up off two parallel steel beams?

Hi "noseall"

Good to see you responding so quickly. Yes I have two parrallel beams for my upstairs wall (start construction as soon as good weather allows). Underneath the beams I have extended dining room. Dining room is almost ready for wall finishing but two beams in ceiling with cavity need closing.

How I do I do that.

Whilst on the subject there is going to be a studded wall under one beam. My question is would it be ok to screw framework to beam. I mean drill either clear holes for bolts or tapped holes for M6 or M8 setscrews.

I am not sure how pros like yourself do it. Await patentiently for your response.

we usually hammer in snug fitting noggings into the flange then fix plasterboards to noggings. we allow the side plasterboard to stick down past the bottom of the beam by 3/4". we then dab a piece of board to the under side of the beam which then finishes level with the side pieces.

self drilling screws can be used to assist the fixing of the underside plasterboard once the adhesive has gone off.

yes it will be ok to fix to the underside of the beam either with pre drilled holes and bolts or self drilling screws.

for fire reg's reasons use 12.5mm plasterboard around the steel beam.

Sponsored Links
p.s. before laying the first course of bricks/blocks onto the steels, pop a few tie wires across the two beams first. it will stop the cavity insulation falling out. ;)

You might also want to think about installing a cavity tray above the beams to prevent any moisture running down the inside (cavity) face of the external leaf of masonry and onto your nice new ceiling.

You must have a cavity tray over the steels which I hope are well painted with red lead paint and bolted together with spacers between to form the required cavity,

for all you learned people out there, a cavity tray will only become relevant once the external brick work is exposed to the outside. this is usually just above the lead chase of the abutting roof. provided the abutting roof isn't flat, then a cavity tray is normally installed quite a few courses above the steels and quite irrelevant to the steels.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back