Beautiful render?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I walked past one of the annexe's to St. Thomas' hospital in London yesterday and looked at the old buildings surrounding a courtyard, the walls looked like stone blocks (on the ground floor) with deep (40mm)mitred joints, over the windows the joints radiated around the windows, I looked closely to see if there were any mortar joints, but there didn't appear to be any, was it render?

Sponsored Links
Render wouldn't last that long. My guess is it's Portland Stone.

Some renders have been on buildings for hundreds of years. Sounds like the work is pargeting.......looks like stone, but just cut out, in the render.

Sponsored Links
I could see the mortar joints in the blocks that were in the gate pillars, but I couldn't see any joint in the walls, the finish was natural (creamy beige)and unpainted and pretty smooth.

Pargetting or Ashlar render, thanks lads.............it sure looked good, I assume this is the high end of the plastering trade with very few that can do it?

Don't you believe it . It is still done ..Mainly by "the oldboys"or the ones that have been taught by us.... ;)

Out of interest Roy, what sort of sand is used? the coat looks like it's 40mm+ thick, is this done in one application?how do they cut the 45 degree angles in it?

We used plastering sand and the grooves or joints were usually formed by screwing moulded wood to the buildings and filling in between them, not all in one coat. You could have square joints, curved joints or "V" joints.
This was what we called banded work and not ashlar.Ashlar work was the same finishing coat as for plain faced render with lines put in the soft finish to imitate stone. And you could have any of the above joints used for the pattern. I did some banded work on a building a long time ago and it still looks good now.....This was done on a four storey building but only the ground floor up to the first floor then I flat coated the rest up to the roof and I formed arched bands to go over the main door.....I will see if I can get a photo if your interested......

That would be great Roy.....................is this a mock georgian style?

Yeah Moonman, like that but all the way over.

Love the horse n cart n the Utube video, I suppose these are examples of where craftsmanship meet artistic talent, it sure is great to look at really skilled work, you can keep the rubbish in the tate modern, give me the fruits of a skilled man every time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back