Bedroom lighting problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Have just moved into a new-build house and find that the lighting in the bedroom is a little 'strange.'

There are two ceiling pendant lights and the plan was that they are both operated from either left or right side of the bed and from beside the door. I guess that is two lights with three-way switching.

What I have is single switches beside the bed (left and right) and a 2 gang beside the door. The right bed and door switch operate one light, the left bed and door the other light. Basically, they have been wired to operate independently, which I did not want.

What is the easiest way to get the lights to operate together with a 3 way switching? The ceiling is completed now and I don't want to pull down any plasterboard.

Thanks

Rex

Sponsored Links
Are you saying you want both lights to operate at the same time from either side of the bed or the door switch? If so you will need to have them linked & an intermediate switch fitted, which dependant on how it has been wired needs to be done between the pendants or possibly the bed side switches. You need to post pics of the cables inside the switches & pendants or work out the circuitry & post the results. Having said that if it is a new build & has not been connected as you asked for it to be done then call the electrician back to rectify his error.

Thanks for your reply.

Will try to get some photos and post back.

Have spoken with the sparkie and basically, he does not want to know.

The problem is, at the first fix stage, to my eyes, everything looked OK. Then one fixes the drylining, plasterboard ceiling and starts with the decoration. Next, the electrical second fix, and that is when I found out that it was not as I had intended. As the house is pretty much a self-build, there has been quite a gap between first, decoration and second fix, and the sparkie is treating it as a new job for which I wants me to pay.

Have the Part P certs. so everything is OK, just inconvenient.

Rex

Further information; assume that I have a single pendant with three (two door switches and a right side bed switch) single gang switches, any of which will turn the light on or off.

What I actually have is this, but twice; two, 2 gang door switches and a left and right bedside switch, each of which only operates one light.

I was wondering if it is possible to fit 1 gang door switches and somehow link the wiring so that the either door switch will operate both lights?

Rex

Sponsored Links
Thanks; very helpful advice. I will investigate further.

Rex

In Vanuatu, do they use the same style of electrical wiring as in the UK?

I think we would need to know that before we go off assuming its the same there as here. IIRC they use the same as Australia.

It's a pity that Holmslaw has repatriated himself. He used to live in the Wallis Islands and that's not so far from Vanuatu.

Actually, I don't live on an island in the Pacific. I get so fed up with entering what seems to me to be unnecessary info when registering on various web sites, that I just enter something fictitious.

When I go to exhibitions, and they need a company name and position, I'm the Head Honcho for Boggit and Leggit. No-one ever notices but I get lots of mail!

My wiring in Surrey is the same as U regulations!

Rex

Is there a loft space or access above the bedroom ceiling?

A lot depends on how the bedroom has been wired as to how it can altered without drawing new cables in.

If just swapping a few wires round in the switches won't do the trick, then a few clever little joints with junction boxes above the bedroom ceiling may just make the wiring salvagable.

Photos or detailed descriptions of in each switch and each light are vital to see if it's possible to alter the wiring without any mess.

Actually, I don't live on an island in the Pacific. I get so fed up with entering what seems to me to be unnecessary info when registering on various web sites, that I just enter something fictitious.
Go away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back