Before fitting our new boiler...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before christmas our existing boiler (Ideal W) started leaking. After looking at the problem and taking everything into consideration along with the forums advice we decided to order a replacement, a Valiant eco-tec which has not yet arrived, but thats not a problem.

Since the problem first arose a few weeks back, we have been collecting the dripping water in a bucket a dumping about 5 to 6 gallons a day, pita, but at least we still have CH & HW. Over this time the water being collected has got clearer and clearer and is now almost colorless, so I guess it's had a pretty good flushing. I'm aware any inhibitor is getting highly diluted now, but with the replacement due shortly didn't consider this a problem.

Now to the question, before fitting the nice shiney new boiler, should we have the system flushed or would it be worth using some additive or other to help clean it out in advance?

Whats a 'Magnaclean' thing?

Cheers!

Chris

Sponsored Links
Your system will be far from clean, the initial dirt is whatever was suspended in the water. The first thing to understand about water is that it will always find the easiest route. Any amount of resistance offered by stubborn sludge an the water simply glides through any clear route without disturbing the sludge. If you cut a section of sludged pipe and fire a hose through it you still wouldn't move it if had compacted enough.

Best have it flushed with chemical to dissolve it, particularly with the type of heat exchanger Vaillant use. The Magnaclean traps sludge before it can enter the boiler and is worth considering. Speak to your installer.

Any decent installer who fits the Vaillant should have included a full flush in with his quote.

I never fit one without one, my customers don't get an option ;)

Thanks for the replies. The brother-in-law is a heating engineer and will be fitting it for beer. I just want to make sure we don't cut any corners with him feeling guilty about charging family whereas I'd rather pay him to do it properly.

Cheers

Chris

Sponsored Links
I assume you have bought it online?

What did you pay? Why didn't you use my online shop? :LOL:

I assume you have bought it online?

What did you pay? Why didn't you use my online shop? :LOL:

I spent quite a bit of time looking on-line, I did look on your site but couldn't find a 'shop' as such and I didn't think about emailing you. I also kind of assumed, rightly or wrongly, that you probably wouldn't be that keen to be selling a discounted boiler without a fitting job, sorry if I assumed wrong. :oops:

In the end I ordered a Vaillant Ecotec 418 and flue kit from my local plumbase for just under £710 including VAT, which seemed pretty competitive from what I could find on-line. Mind you, it hasn't arrived yet!

Guess I'll need to buy something else from you before picking your brains about gettig it wired up (pump overrun?) ;)

Chris

If your brother in law is fitting it for beer then might I suggest you buy him a truss as a bonus, those Ideal W's are fluffin heavy!

can't you get the leak fixed? You could start circulating a cleaning chemical prior to the flush, it will loosen the old sediment. You could also have the Magnaclean fitted in advance, to trap loose sediment before it has the chance to leap into your new boiler.

Any decent installer who fits the Vaillant should have included a full flush in with his quote.

I never fit one without one, my customers don't get an option ;)

Hell Dave, you not fitting the Greenstars or RI's yet?

I love them Worcesters!

Dave

chris-s";p="785471 said:
Before christmas our existing boiler (Ideal W) started leaking. After looking at the problem and taking everything into consideration along with the forums advice we decided to order a replacement, a Valiant eco-tec which has not yet arrived, but thats not a problem.

You should have found an engineer who could replace the 'o' rings. Half day job and another 20 heat exchanger life of your boiler.

David

Nah Dave, I still can't get my head round Worcesters :oops:

They look too much of a mess to me when you take the case off, so I run a mile :LOL:

Soggy_weetabix";p="786134 said:

You should have found an engineer who could replace the 'o' rings. Half day job and another 20 heat exchanger life of your boiler.

David

I did consider doing that myself, I can strip and rebuild a car engine so it's something I would have been able to do I'm sure, but looking at the state of the heat exchanger and the boilers overall condition I didn't think it warranted it, it's a decision I can live with.

Given it's apparant state, I think breaking the heat exchanger in half, cleaning it, re-sealing it and putting it all back together would have been hit or miss as to whether it would have done the job properly.

Cheers

Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back