New Boiler Fitted All Radiators Hot But Strange Issue

Sponsored Links
As I said though - if the rads are hot, the boiler has done its job.

Indeed. That's what I thought in the second post earlier on: Rads are hot, end of story. And I have no specific knowledge other that what I studied in A level physics many decades ago - you can't re-write the laws of physics.

I'm thinking the problem isn't half as bad as advertised. And if it's just a tad nippy when you sit down for coffee and biscuits then a little fan heater for a tenner from B&Q is probably the answer.

One of my evil experiments with customers is to change the offset on their thermostats by a degree on their first annual service....

Guess how many noticed? ;).

I get the feeling that since hubby has come home he has discredited all the sound advice that has been given as rubbish seeing as you haven't actually tried anything suggested :rolleyes:

No, no not at all. We are trying to find the setting we need to change on the boiler from your instructions and the book but we can't seem to find the setting on the boiler. We will try anything you ask us to try he was just asking a question x

Sponsored Links
0 ;)

bsociable what insulation have you got at your property? have you got cavity insulation? how thick is your loft insulation if any?
what temperature did you have the room stat set with the old boiler?
What ambient temp is comfortable for you, 20deg , 23deg, 26deg?

I'm thinking the problem isn't half as bad as advertised. And if it's just a tad nippy when you sit down for coffee and biscuits then a little fan heater for a tenner from B&Q is probably the answer.[/quote]

I do agree I hate the cold. Three thomostats show me my house is 19C in living room, 18C in kitchen and 18C upstairs. I don't think I'm exaggerating that it's cold here when I have cold hands and a cold nose. We didn't have this problem before the install. Not so sure a fan heater from B&Q will suffice in the long term lol.

0 ;)

bsociable what insulation have you got at your property? have you got cavity insulation? how thick is your loft insulation if any?
what temperature did you have the room stat set with the old boiler?
What ambient temp is comfortable for you, 20deg , 23deg, 26deg?

We only moved in in May so I don't know if there is cavity insulation. Loft thickness is 600 insulation and my heat comfort Zone is around 22deg. House is fully double glazed and I have two doors separating kitchen and garage.

I do agree I hate the cold. Three thomostats show me my house is 19C in living room, 18C in kitchen and 18C upstairs. I don't think I'm exaggerating that it's cold here when I have cold hands and a cold nose. We didn't have this problem before the install. Not so sure a fan heater from B&Q will suffice in the long term lol.

As my dad used to say when I was cold - 'put on a woolly jumper' - that's a cheaper way to keep warm than burning gas!

It always amuses me when I see all the tosh on the BBC news about people not being able to afford to heat their houses and struggle to pay the gas bill etc etc. Invariably these folk are dressed, when interviewed, in a short sleeved shirt and some thin leggins :eek:

Right now I have on some long johns, trousers, shirt and jumper and boiler suit and as I'm alternating between little jobs both outside and inside am not cold at all. :)

As the rads are getting properly hot and you are still chilly and given that the boiler is obviously doing its job albeit oversized, then the only solution would appear to be installing larger or more radiators.

As the rads are getting properly hot and you are still chilly and given that the boiler is obviously doing its job albeit oversized, then the only solution would appear to be installing larger or more radiators.

What I don't understand is how we were warm enough before the new install. I know it's colder today but even so I would have thought we'd be able to heat up the house more. I'm going to contact the boiler installer again and if he won't do anything I'll get a company in to take a look. We cannot get the temp to rise any higher than 19C with this new boiler. The room temp before install would get to 26 and I had to turn it down. There's surely got to be a setting or bit of wiring wrong somewhere surely. I will post back on here and let you all know the outcome but would like to thank you all very much for trying to help xxxx

i would start with the room thermostat and timings.....and constantly monitor the boiler temperature and status codes......what does the boiler say.

also check on you partner...if they don't feel the cold so much and pay the gas bills then may be they have tweaked something without telling you!

i would start with the room thermostat and timings.....and constantly monitor the boiler temperature and status codes......what does the boiler say.

also check on you partner...if they don't feel the cold so much and pay the gas bills then may be they have tweaked something without telling you!

Ha ha I pay the gas bill so no problem there. The boiler has no error code and the only thing I see on the display that is flashing is the number 72. Looks like if I want to change settings within the boiler there is a code for installers or professionals but I can't access it. That's probably not a bad thing really lol.

We cannot get the temp to rise any higher than 19C with this new boiler. The room temp before install would get to 26 and I had to turn it down.

That's in-line with the fact that today has been much colder than of late with all those wet mild days and you've only been there since May...

So really you can't compare today's problem with anything previous as the goal posts have moved regarding climatic conditions.

Three thomostats show me my house is 19C in living room, 18C in kitchen and 18C upstairs.

As a layman, with the fact that there appear to be three room thermostats and each radiator has a TRV which takes priority and therefore control?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back