Beko Washing Machine - May take off!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have a Beko WMA510W washing machine which has started making an awful noise on full spin. It whines a fair bit on a normal rotation but it is now unbearable and appears to be making the water pipes all around the house clang!!!!

I've cleaned the filter, checked the balance blocks and springs and removed the belt to check the bearing in the drum. All are fine.

The noise is coming from the motor and when I take the brushes out is disappears. They are both quite worn and have around 15mm left but could they really cause this noise?

It almost sounds like there is air in the pipes and it only occurs on the fastest spin?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
I don't quite follow the symptoms you describe.

A whine would suggest bearing wear - so either the drum (which you say is ok) or the motor which will probably only play up when under load and up to speed, so not sure why you think that is ok?

You also talk about pipes banging? To me this would suggest other causes and depend on when it occurs in the cycle. On spin there is no water being used so why would the pipes make noise unless the machine is out of balance and in some way knocking on the pipes?

I would try moving the machine out from its location a bit and run it again so there is no chance of banging on the pipework, making sure it is firmly balanced. There could be more than one fault to deal with here.

I don't quite follow the symptoms you describe.

A whine would suggest bearing wear - so either the drum (which you say is ok) or the motor which will probably only play up when under load and up to speed, so not sure why you think that is ok?

You also talk about pipes banging? To me this would suggest other causes and depend on when it occurs in the cycle. On spin there is no water being used so why would the pipes make noise unless the machine is out of balance and in some way knocking on the pipes?

I would try moving the machine out from its location a bit and run it again so there is no chance of banging on the pipework, making sure it is firmly balanced. There could be more than one fault to deal with here.

Thank you for the response.
My diagnosis is based on the following:
I've had the belt off and turned the drum as fast as I can which produced NO noise at all. There is also a test people have described whereby you push the drum up and down to test for play for which there is not any.

The noise is only unbearble on the fastest spin cycle but I can hear it whirring when washing at low speeds. The best way to describe it is like a hunting noise from an engine. This is certainly coming from the brushes as I had them out last night and when turning pulley the noise is no longer apparent. When it is there it almost sounds like a clicking.

The pipes banging again only occurs on the last spin cycle. I can hold the pipe under the sink when this happens and the shock is barely felt on the outside of the pipe. The main noise I can hear is up in the airing cupboard which clangs really loudly as if there is air locked or it is trying to draw water through but is failing. Weird I know but this is the best way to describe it.

I will as suggested move the unit out and give it a run tomorrow. The pipes at the back are flexible so i'm not sure they will make this noise but I will certainly give it a go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back