belfast sink waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a problem here. I have installed a belfast sink in a new utility room and I thought everything was fine until I switched on the taps and it just keeps leaking from the waste. The waste is a chrome threaded type whick fits through the hole in the sink and has a nut which is tightened below. With the waste I received 2 washers, 1 small black one which I put at the top between the basin and the plug and one larger whitish plastic one which i put at the bottom between the tightening nut and under side of basin. Whatever I do it leaks, it actually seems to leak more the more I tighten it as the washer at the bottom distorts, however I did not want to tighten too much as I thought I might crack the sink. Any ideas what i am doing wrong, any help would be much appreciated thanks Dan

Sponsored Links
Take it back off again add some silicone to the underneath, above the plastic washer then try it

replace teh white nylon one with another rubber one that will cure it.
the nylon ones are rubbish and dont make a good seal.

doyle said:
replace teh white nylon one with another rubber one that will cure it.
the nylon ones are rubbish and dont make a good seal.

Silicone!!!

Sponsored Links
Belfast sinks are made of earthenware and are virtually bulletproof.

Silicone is great for making a seal but does have a habit of causing the washer to squidge out.
Use between 1 and 3 large plastic 1½" washers on the bottom joint. Dont overtighten or even these can squeeze out.
On the top use the rubber washer if thats where its meant to go and looks as though it will do the job otherwise use silicone on its own. Getting the amount right is important. Just enough to fill the space with a small excess is ideal.

Make sure the everything is clean and dry before you start and leave it overnight before you use it.

With some of the crap fittings that are about these days even plumbers can have trouble with this stuff. If your fitting has a cheap feel to it then fling it and spend more money on a decent 1½" Brass slotted waste.

Forget the rubber washer underneath - use silicone (as sime10 says) to fill the gap around the waste tail, then a poly washer, then the backnut.

thanks for all the posts, i will have another go at the weekend when I've got some time but i now know at least what to do. Again thanks everyone the information is much appreciated. Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back