Bell Box Resilience

It (Redcare) does work properly, even when there's an engineer working on it who has disabled it properly, it still calls the police out!!

only if its you it does.

before working on a redcare an alarm engineer calls the relvnat ARC and asks them to take it out of service, he can then do what he likes with it, put it in line fault, test the signals change the STU, that is the whole idea,. then when finished he asks what signals were received, provided they were received as sent he knows its working, so that screws your idea up doesnt it.

Sponsored Links
It (Redcare) does work properly, even when there's an engineer working on it who has disabled it properly, it still calls the police out!!

you dont half dig yourself some holes when you post PMSL

you must be the only non bt / bt engineer who also does cat5 wiring, arials and AV who works permenant nights because and I`ll say it again

"if you were doing sup. notices, or had the first idea how redcare works - then NO the police wouldnt be coming out"

you must be the only non bt / bt engineer who also does cat5 wiring
I'm a broadband and IT engineer, business and residential....
arials (sic)
I've never put an aerial up in my life, but I know how they work, I also support the BT Vision product, which uses the freeview system - in my old job I setup commercial sky systems alongside TV and video distribution
I've put on live events for thousands of people, camera work and sound op work with the stars / royalty - in my old job...
who works permenant nights
This bit I don't understand???

I know how redcare works, and how to disable it (ie. before starting work!!), various other engineers have had the same problem that I have heard about.

I don't see the point of continuing this "discussion", I made an offhand comment about it in a thread unrelated to it and off it spirals....

Sponsored Links
well if you know how redcare works why do you get policed so much.

it looks to me you have no idea judging by your comments you have so far made.

oh, and for what its worth, i am the bloke in charge of sky sports tv.

and the Queen is my best friend and so is Dave.

I used to clean the windows a "her" house

my point is, i can type what i like, say i did what ever i like as a job, but as they are so silly its obvious i dont do them, but one of them i did do, but it gives me no more credability does it.

I know how redcare works, and how to disable it (ie. before starting work!!), various other engineers have had the same problem that I have heard about.

I don't see the point of continuing this "discussion", I made an offhand comment about it in a thread unrelated to it and off it spirals....

thats just the point Mr Sean, you don't know how it works and you don't know how to take it off line ( as shown by your not understanding the night time comment) so now you`ve been corrected and I`ve been able to see your comments did not mean MY systems were failing

but -thats no more than I would expect if I posted something wrong in the BT broadband IT forum

however - it goes someway to explaining why I seem to spend half my working day balling telecoms "engineers...." out because the sites been in no response since they visited and "NO it isnt the responsibility of the alarm company...."

first thing Monday morning, ask your boss for a bit more training - good luck

The 0800 number for the automated system to take redcare offline is 24 hour - it requires your EIN and some numbers off the back of your security ID card - it gives you a recorded message when done stating that redcare is now disabled, and reminding you to recommission it when work is done - there is no other procedure that I have been made aware of - sometimes this doesn't seem to work though (my one and only point)

Redcare is out of band signalling that monitors the telephone line - if the equipment at BTs end detects no response (/monitoring signal) from the equipment at the customer's end, it triggers the system - the idea of which is to notify the authorities before setting any alarms off (to catch them red handed, hence redcare) I would never leave site without checking that the system is back in service, by contacting the alarm company direct with my and the customer's details - some other engineers are unable to do this as they work on the network and not within customer premises - they are still supposed to leave everything as they found it, but if they can't access the premises and obtain the customer's details they can't necessarily check with the alarm company that it's working - they will however ensure that the redcare is back on, and notify the customer that their telephone line is back in service - who should then contact the alarm company...

Being in the position of being with the customer in their premises when I'm working, I fortunately can check everything works before I leave, rather than rely on automated systems - you won't catch somewhere I've been in no response afterwards.

The 0800 number for the automated system to take redcare offline is 24 hour - it requires your EIN and some numbers off the back of your security ID card - it gives you a recorded message when done stating that redcare is now disabled, and reminding you to recommission it when work is done - there is no other procedure that I have been made aware of - sometimes this doesn't seem to work though (my one and only point)

Redcare is out of band signalling that monitors the telephone line - if the equipment at BTs end detects no response (/monitoring signal) from the equipment at the customer's end, it triggers the system - the idea of which is to notify the authorities before setting any alarms off (to catch them red handed, hence redcare) I would never leave site without checking that the system is back in service, by contacting the alarm company direct with my and the customer's details - some other engineers are unable to do this as they work on the network and not within customer premises - they are still supposed to leave everything as they found it, but if they can't access the premises and obtain the customer's details they can't necessarily check with the alarm company that it's working - they will however ensure that the redcare is back on, and notify the customer that their telephone line is back in service - who should then contact the alarm company...

Being in the position of being with the customer in their premises when I'm working, I fortunately can check everything works before I leave, rather than rely on automated systems - you won't catch somewhere I've been in no response afterwards.

very commendable - still doesnt mean the police are "invariably..." called to site though and if they are as you claimed then your doing something wrong LOL

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back