Belling XOU179 wiring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just purchased a used Belling XOU179 cooker, I've not been given a manual and can barely find anything online about it at all. I think its rated at 2200W but cant be 100% sure. I've spent numerous hours trying to find extra info...

its an integrated single electric oven. There is a thickish grey wire currently connected to it which contains red, black and copper (earth?) wires.

Do I need a proper cooker socket wiring up (I do not have one at the moment) to use this or can I simply connect a standard plug? I read somewhere that if its under 3000W a standard plug is ok?

many thanks for your help its appreciated

Sponsored Links
Previously, this cooker has been hard wired, using the grey twin core and earth that is attached now. I recommend that you have it wired the same way - if it was meant to be a plugged in appliance, it would have come with a plug on.
John :)

many thanks for the info.

the link just says error after I complete the form and click search... any ideas?

Sponsored Links
As you say the rating of the element appears to be 2.2kW so connecting to a switched socket or spur with a suitable flex cable should be ok.

Does the oven have a grill or top oven element as well as the rear fan oven element.
If it is a model with one then it may not be able to be connected onto a 13 amp supply.

Some ovens that do have two or more elements are so connected that it is impossible for both elements to operate at the same time others are designed to allow both to operate at the same time.

I managed to get the PDF manual direct from belling (for free).

here is some more information for anyone else who may come across this thread with the same question:

[code:1]Electrical Installation
WARNING: THIS APPLIANCE MUST BE EARTHED!
This cooker should be installed by a competent electrician in accordance with the current edition of IEE
Regulations.
This appliance must be earthed and connected to a 230 volt, 50 Hz, single phase supply through a
suitable cooker control unit with a fuse rating of 20 amps. The control unit should incorporate a double
pole switch having a contact separation of at least 3 mm in all poles and should be located adjacent to the
cooker to allow easy access in case of an emergency.
We recommend that you use a rubber cable (type HO 3RR-F) to connect the cooker to the control unit or
other protective cables with similar type characteristics. The minimum cable size is 3 x 2.5 mm sq.[/code:1]

cheers gents

Looks like you got your answer from belling then.

Needs a Cooker Control Unit wired to your distribution board, time to call in a qualified installer and tester as it is illegal to do that work yourself now. (Needs to be certified by a Part P registered test and inspector)

Yep.
got an electrician who's sorting various other sockets after a wall is replaced and he's confirmed he's gunna put a ccu in for us, luckily fuse box/board is pretty close by.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back