bending speedfit pipe?? new to plastic plumbing...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to embark on my first speedfit plumbing task, having always used endfeed copper before...

Anyway, I would appreciate some advice on how to bend the stuff?

Can you permanently deform it like copper? or does it spring back?

I've seen guidance saying you can bend it with a pipe bender, or a spring, but surely it springs back?

I've also seen the speedfix cold forming bend... does this bend have to be left permanently in place? The speedfit literature suggests you can achieve a much tighter bend radius with the former than just bending it and holding with clips?

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated. I'm keen to use longer lengths to save on fittings, and the potential failure of fitings in the future.

Also, if i'm running it across my loft, does it need supporting the whole way? or will clipping it to each roof truss (say every 600mm) suffice?

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
If you are running across a loft you are better off using a 25metre roll rather than 'lengths' as it cuts down on the number of fittings and cheaper to buy. I have only ever created bends myself held in place with pipe clips. I can't see how a pipe can be 'bent permanently though.

Yes, you can bend speedfit with a bender, but as you suspect, it won't keep it's shape too well.

If you want to form a gently curved right-angle, you can buy formed bend clips that hold the pipe to keep the angle. Yes, leave it permanently in place. It helps prevent springing back or kinking/collapsing.

http://www.speedfit.co.uk/Home/Prod...h-Size-Fittings-(Eire)/COLD-FORMING-BEND.aspx

A sharp right-angle will kink the pipe, so it's best to use an elbow fitting. I carry a hair drier (not for vanity :eek: ) in my van for warming Speedfit for bends. Warm Speedfit is much easier to shape, especially in winter.

You don't need to support the whole length across the loft.

Funny you should mention the hair drier Whitespirit. I once heated up a 40mm waste pipe - with my blow torch - so that I could just slightly bend it in the right direction. Probably not recommended but it worked and is still working six years on.

Sponsored Links
Funny you should mention the hair drier Whitespirit. I once heated up a 40mm waste pipe - with my blow torch - so that I could just slightly bend it in the right direction. Probably not recommended but it worked and is still working six years on.

Take it one stage further, and use the torch to form a socket in the waste pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back