Bernardgreen electronics.Q

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You're the man bernard.

I've got a component that even the electronics forums don't recognise.

I don't get it.

Any chance you could give me two minutes of your time.?????

Resistor bands are.......brown -black- silver-brown -black.
Its a fusible resistor in my book. Never seen anything like it though.

It's from a power supply board.

Research tells me the chinese put the last black stripe as an indication of it being fusible.
Since then i've been told it's an indication of the temp coefficient.

No-one seems to know.
Can you save me pulling more of my barnet out????

And why are there different resistor scales for banding.????

The worlds gone mad.

I would appreciate your help.

Sponsored Links
From the web

http://itll.colorado.edu/index.php/electronics_center/resistor_chart/

As to how a fusible resistor is marked ? The only time I have had to design in fusible resistors they have been selected by manufacturer and type and clearly documented as being fusible, often with text in the board screen print. I would not have been allowed to rely on the colour coding as other than value and tolerance the other bands used differently by different manufacturers. Replacing a fusible resistor with anything other than the exact same type can negate the function of the resistor.

Thanks for the reply Bernard. I mean that.

You were my last hope.

I'll bin it.

I appreciate your time.

From the web

http://itll.colorado.edu/index.php/electronics_center/resistor_chart/

As to how a fusible resistor is marked ? The only time I have had to design in fusible resistors they have been selected by manufacturer and type and clearly documented as being fusible, often with text in the board screen print. I would not have been allowed to rely on the colour coding as other than value and tolerance the other bands used differently by different manufacturers. Replacing a fusible resistor with anything other than the exact same type can negate the function of the resistor.

Btw....silver as a multiplier (according to your link,and many others) doesn't come into your scale ......that's what I was trying to say/ask.

Sponsored Links
Silver as third band strongly suggests the coding is not a resistance value coding, instead it could be a manufacturer's type number / part number.

The poster in the link isn't me.... But he has the same sort of point.

Look at the scale three posts down.

Silver now has a non tolerance value and has become a minus multiplier.????

This is my dilemma bernard.

Silver as third band strongly suggests the coding is not a resistance value coding, instead it could be a manufacturer's type number / part number.

According to the link i provided, the value of my resistor is 0.1 ohms, 1% tolerance and 250ppm.

RS and Farnells don't stock 'em. No such thing.

It's a mystery......

No one knows the answer.

Worlds gone mad.

Can you [a] post a picture and/or reverse engineer to create a circuit diagram of the part where this component is fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back