Fixed my Potterton Suprima 50

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fixed my boiler in a day with change from £3.50 for parts, yes, really, three pounds fifty! Potterton Suprima 50, nine years old, now working fine again with its original PCB.

It starting locking out with the flashing red LED on rare occasions, then increasing in frequency to every couple of weeks then daily. Then it reached the point where pressing the reset button caused strange things happening like both lights flashing, relays clattering and then powering off completely until resetting at the power switch.

The fix? There are two parts to it.

Before the first part, SWITCH THE MAINS OFF - DON'T GET BUZZED! :eek:
If you don't feel confident isolating the system before commencing work on it, call in a professional. :)

First, all the comments you may have read about dry joints and poor solder flow for the PCBs in Potterton boilers are absolutely correct. This is the second home I've had with a Potterton boiler having dry joints and tired soldering on the main PCB, and friends have had similar troubles with theirs too. If you're an electronics person, or you know one, it's absolutely worth soldering everything in sight. Dry joints particularly appear on components which are large like the ignition coil, on components which have moving parts like the relays, components which run hot like large resistors and voltage suppressors and anything with fat pins, which flow soldering can't adequately heat up during manufacture, like the sockets for the wiring harness plugs. For clues where the hot components are, inspect both sides of the board for browned areas.

The second part of the fix, rectifying what temporarily killed my boiler, involves replacing the electrolytic capacitors on the PCB. The biggest one on the board, C22, is the reservoir capacitor for storing charge for pulsing current through the ignition coil. On my board this had 'burst its base' and torn a leg off. Electrolytic capacitors have a limited lifespan, especially when they work in warm environments, so I replaced all seven of them on the board as a precaution. For reference, they are:
C12, 1uF (one microfarad), 100V (one hundred volts).
C22, 47uF, 100V.
C24, 1uF, 50V.
C25, 1uF, 50V.
C29, 47uF, 63V.
C37, 4.7uF, 63V.
C51, Axial, 10uF, 25V.

Its worth noting that these (electrolytic) capacitors don't have to show any visible signs if they failed, so change them anyway. If you want your replacement components to have a long life buy capacitors designed for working in hot environments or with a high thermal specification. LOW ESR capacitors are also better than 'Hi Q' ones.

C51 being axial is mounted flat on the board alongside an IC (chip). All the others are radial, mounted upright.

If you can't obtain capacitors that have identical values for both capacity in microfarads and voltage then choose a capacitor with a higher voltage rating but keep the capacity in microfarads the same.

Hope this helps a few people!

Regards,
Chris

Sponsored Links
can you get to the pcb without having to do with anything that is gas regulated?

can you get to the pcb without having to do with anything that is gas regulated?

Yes you can. Open the control door and take out the screws. (don't forget the one in the middle! :) ) The outer cover for the whole of the control and electrical side of things on the right slides straight towards you. Take out the top screw and the PCB holder hinges out leaning forwards.

All the gas stuff is in a separate fully sealed enclosure on the left.

Best,
Chris

Sponsored Links
They must have specialy moved the gas valve on yours then!

And the APS as well for that matter!

A private householder may work on his own boiler. You can access the pcb on a Suprima without touching the gas valve or APS. I had one with apparent pcb trouble, but it was actually a blocked cold feed, causing overheating.

:rolleyes: how many 'householders' have to touch the gas valve to light the pilot on some models :rolleyes: , romoving the PCB has no effect whatsoever with regard to APS or gas valve , another 'the importance of the RGI' springs to mind , give it a rest. :rolleyes: was removing the pilot sight glass on the old Crane when I was 10 years old.

Give the guy some credit instead of bashing anyone with a tad more knowledge than yourself.

I have a 10 years old Suprima 60 which is locking out now and then. Sometimes it works fine and sometimes I have to press the reset button a couple of times to get it started. Sometimes I have to switch the main off to reset.

My heating engineer recommended a total new CH system but I felt it is more cost effective to have the PCB sorted out.

TopCT's article is of interest to me. I would like to ask him where did he buy those capacitors from.

You can buy a selection or individual caps from Maplins.

Just resoldering might fix the problem on your boiler.

A rather better solution is to buy the new revised PCB but that does need an RGI to fit it because some parts are inside the combustion chamber.

Before suspecting the PCB you should check the flow and return temps to make sure it is not actually overheating.

Tony

I have a 10 years old Suprima 60 which is locking out now and then. Sometimes it works fine and sometimes I have to press the reset button a couple of times to get it started. Sometimes I have to switch the main off to reset.

My heating engineer recommended a total new CH system but I felt it is more cost effective to have the PCB sorted out.

TopCT's article is of interest to me. I would like to ask him where did he buy those capacitors from.

Hi WWY,

Your symptoms are identical to how mine went, right down to the repeat attempts & powering off.

The original batch of capacitors I got from Maplin got things running again initially, but these turned out not to be so great after a few months when things started going the same way as before. - Emphasis on my original comment on buying quality capacitors suitable for hot working environments!

I eventually bought some better quality, more permanent replacement capacitors from Farnell Element 14 on the web.

Part nos. I ordered from Farnell were 812-6984, 881-3086, 169-5300, 812-6992, 116-5565, 812-7220. I also ordered a relay, 994-9941, but on inspection the originals on the board were all OK. Fitted July 2012. As of date (8 April 2013), boiler working perfectly since, haven't had to touch it again once.

Best regards,
Chris

The design of the suprima is rather poor in one respect. Thats the amount of heat allowed to get to the PCB area.

I am sure it would help if you fitted a few layers of aluminium foil on the boiler wall to the left of the PCB as that would reflect heat away from the PCB.

Tony

I am sure it would help if you fitted a few layers of aluminium foil on the boiler wall to the left of the PCB as that would reflect heat away from the PCB.

Thanks Tony, you confirmed my observations about the PCB getting slowly cooked by the boiler! Your tip about using foil to reflect the heat back is an excellent one. I would also advise caution using aluminium foil close to exposed electronics, especially in a hot zone. The fixing method or glue must not fail in such a way as to allow the foil to fall against the electronics, certainly anywhere near the high voltage ignition area. Definitely no fixings or glue which could become flammable when heated!

Maybe a thin layer of fibreglass insulation perhaps?

Kind regards,
Chris

The problem is primarily radiated heat rather than conducted heat. The PCB area is quite well cooled by convection.

A layer of fibreglass and a layer of foil would be fine but I do think that foil as the last layer would be best.

It has always surprised me that they never put any protection in the boiler. But of course they only need it to last for the warranty period.

In any case the original PCB has proved very unreliable and thats why they designed the replacement.

Tony

Maybe I should go out and buy a recon/repaired one to replace the existing problem board. Rather than chucking the latter I'll change all the capacitors like what TopCT did, do whatever necessary soldering and keep as it as a spare.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back