Best broadband (bang for buck)

What services/package are you receiving from Virgin? i.e. what will the £157 a month be buying you?

Do you need everything you're paying for?

Have you tried phoning their 'we're thinking of leaving you' folk to see if they can offer you a better deal?
We have broadband, TV and land line. Hardly use the phone and don't watch much TV-it was mainly for the kids, but they've gone now. Wife is adamant she doesn't want to lose the land line, God know why as the only people who call are scammers. I think we get Netflix in the package, but again, hardly use it. Just thinking of fast BB and getting a stick thing you plug in the TV.

Sponsored Links
Does your current capacity suffice?

If so, there's your benchmark; just look for same or similar, for cheaper.

My firestick runs off 70mbps just fine.
Now TV; £24 p/m

We have broadband, TV and land line. Hardly use the phone and don't watch much TV-it was mainly for the kids, but they've gone now. Wife is adamant she doesn't want to lose the land line, God know why as the only people who call are scammers. I think we get Netflix in the package, but again, hardly use it. Just thinking of fast BB and getting a stick thing you plug in the TV.
You've sort of answered and sort of not ;) Not really our business if you don't want to share. My point was are you paying for the basic/mid/high broadband and tv.

If you hardly watch tv you would most likely get by with the most basic Virgin tv package. If you're not a heavy user of broadband (e.g. don't do online gaming, don't download/upload tons of stuff) then a lower broadband speed would likely suffice. And if you're paying for extra stuff you don't need, again it can be dropped.

I suspect if you reassess what you need, then phone Virgin to discuss, you'll be offered a better monthly price, yes for less stuff but if you don't use/need it then so what? And choose the 'I'm thinking of leaving you' option to ensure you get someone who's better placed to discuss this with you ;)

600MB/s is stupid fast, a single device using more than 100MB/s is very unusual.

4k streaming is about 50MB/s.

Sponsored Links
Virgin is Virgin specific connection.

Most (legacy) ISP's use an OpenReach connection but that is changing with the newcomers (GigaClear, CityFibre, and like) providing Fibre to the Premises.

Cost up what you are paying - does your monthly cost include BBspeed, eMail, Virus protection, etc?

GigaClear are offering their service for £17 for 18 months + £3 for 'phone.

Your choice is StarLink and a dish; Legacy provider with new OR connection or an Incomer with. they're fibre connection.

OP posted up a photo of 591 Mbps.

If you are correct, please explain how you've got from 591 to 74.
(I don't know how these things are calculated, so I just read the numbers).
8 bits to a Byte! :)
Capitalisation makes a difference.

...I should also add that IT Minion is otherwise correct, 600Mb/s is fast and 4k streaming would require 50Mb/s

Last edited:

Mine comes out at a quote 72-ish Mbps download, 20-ish Mbps upload, Ping of 10ms, and Jitter of 13ms.

I don't know what any of that means, but I do know that it works (for me) (y)

Just buy a 4G/5G router for about £100 and get an unlimited mobile package, e.g. this...

£25 per month, £12.50 for first 3 months, 10% off if you sign up for a year. Obviously you'll lose the landline, so you'll need to tame the missus.

Obviously subject to reasonable coverage (e.g. Lebara uses Vodafone). You can put the router where it gets the best signal. You should be able to get 50Mb or much more in most locations.

If you want netflix then buy it from netflix!

We used this for about a year, it was absolutely fine. No different to any wired connection in everyday use, e.g. web browsing, HD video, whatever.

Loads of choice of routers and providers.

I'd cry at the idea of paying Virgin such a stupid amount per month, £1884 per year!!!

Last edited:
4k streaming would require 50Mb/s
Netflix say >15Mbit/s although 20 may be a better figure?

BBC iPlayer states "You'll need an internet connection of 24MBit/s for the full 3840 pixel Ultra HD experience, or 12MBit/s for 2560 pixel Ultra HD"

My circa 30Mbit/s connection works fine for Amazon, Netflix and BBC UHD.
Multiple users simultaneously streaming in the same dwelling would require more of course.

Getting fibre to the house made the difference to my Wi-Fi, before that hadn’t noticed any real difference. Currently with bt and their speeds slow after the first few months so not convinced the advertised speeds are accurate.

Blup

My circa 30Mbit/s connection works fine for Amazon, Netflix and BBC UHD.
Yes, sorry, as with M v's m and B v's b, I went for brevity of text, rather than leaving a good explanation.

A 50Mb/s connection would be a decent speed, that's more than adequate for streaming 4k, including some loading from other household users.

This prompted me to renew my current plan - same service and prover £5 cheaper - 24 month commit. Vodafone £20pm for 65.4 Mbps
download speed guarantee, 72.6 - 73.5 Mbps download speed. 17.5 - 18.3 Mbps upload speed

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back