Best broadband (bang for buck)

Getting fibre to the house made the difference to my Wi-Fi, before that hadn’t noticed any real difference. Currently with bt and their speeds slow after the first few months so not convinced the advertised speeds are accurate.

Blup
Probably contention ratio (numbers of users on-line at the same time).

Sponsored Links
Right this minute, my Sky broadband is downloading at 30 mbs. It goes to 37 at times. We run Disney, Now, Netflix and Prime*; and 2 phones and 2 Macs with that perfectly well. We pay £39/month, no contract. We have very few outages. We also have 'freesat' from our out-of-contract dish.

We're in a village where there's fibre to the edge of the village, but still copper from the cabinet to the door. There is no way I'd ever pay £150 for broadband!

*We're not couch potato TV watchers! We pay for 2 and the daughter pays for 2; and we share. (Predating that being against the rules.)

PS we use ITV X and iPlayer a lot too, for dramas, via BB.

Netflix say >15Mbit/s although 20 may be a better figure?

BBC iPlayer states "You'll need an internet connection of 24MBit/s for the full 3840 pixel Ultra HD experience, or 12MBit/s for 2560 pixel Ultra HD"

Does this mean that I need to tell my tellies and Firestick that they really shouldn't be working, as I only get a quoted 72 Mbps? :unsure:

Probably contention ratio (numbers of users on-line at the same time).
Yes noticed that particularly with various people on Netflix etc but the service has got poorer in that respect ie could previously do 3 or 4 users on broadband (bandwidth?) hungry apps wfh etc, but drops out more frequently now. Nothing major but a clear degradation in service.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Does this mean that I need to tell my tellies and Firestick that they really shouldn't be working, as I only get a quoted 72 Mbps? :unsure:
If you had iPlayer running at 4k on three different devices at once you should be fine. Four might be pushing it though.

Community Fibre is good n cheap, i have the 1gb line after dumping VM (was with them for 17 years), its asynchronous but only available in some areas in London.

Most other providers like BT, vodafone etc have a limited bandwith and much higher prices.

The reason your Virgin amount is so high is because you're out of contract, you can call them and negotiate a new contract far lower, mine was similar to you went from £75 to about £150 after contract ended,1GB broadband most channels Sport movies etc, and now pay £80 including Netflix with a new box and router, worth giving them a ring.

We pay £26.47/month for Vodafone broadband. Doesn’t include calls as we use our mobiles with unlimited minutes. No Netflix/Prime/Apple TV +/Sky etc but there’s not much I can’t watch on my Firestick. I get the following speeds and it’s never really let us down in the 4+ years we've had it.

IMG_5703.png

Edit: Just checked my account online for the first time since I’ve had it. It was £21.50 in Jan, went to £24.60 in March, was £26.47 in October and because I'm now out of contract, its going up to £29.60 at the end of this month. Cheeky barstewards. If I was a new customer it'd be £23.50 with a £70 voucher for a new 24 month contract. I’m getting on to them in the morning and if they can’t do anything, I’m ditching and switching. It really boils my pìss when loyal customers are treated as mugs. I could get faster speed with Virgin but they are cable and people on our estate Facebook page are always saying that Virgin has packed up yet again so I’ll avoid them.

Last edited:
I ditch and switch every time a contract runs out. It's a complete non-event once you've got your own router, usually just need to update the username and password. Everything within the house remains the same - wifi details, IP reservations, whatever. Last switchover the disruption amounted to it disconnecting at midnight on switch day, then reconnected 5 minutes later to the new ISP. Done.

Currently paying Shell Broadband £25 a month, but got a £110 amazon voucher and £65 cashback for switching to them for 18 months. Works out at about £15 a month all-in (assuming there's something worth buying on amazon).

But this is irrelevant to the OP, who doesn't have a BT line. So has a choice of crap, expensive Virgin, mobile or satellite. I'd recommend mobile, but definitely worth telling Virgin you want to close your account to find out what the non-mug's price really is. They all play the same silly games, you need to either switch or at least threaten to. Unfortunately this is a symptom of most people being too lazy to care, they take advantage of it.

Been in touch with Community fibre, and will be switching to them. First thing I did was to contact Virgin to renegotiate, but to no avail. Could have got it down to £99 a month but still too much. Community fibre run off BT telephone poles (the black boxes they've been fitting on top of them) and will run a new cable in as part of the (free) install. £25 a month for 1Gbps plus £10 a monthe for unlimited phone to UK landlines and mobiles. No TV package (though they do have one) so I will be just watching things on Freeview, though I mostly watch YouTube. I think I also get a £100 Amazon voucher as well as the person who recommended them to me.

Edit: Just checked my account online for the first time since I’ve had it. It was £21.50 in Jan, went to £24.60 in March, was £26.47 in October and because I'm now out of contract, its going up to £29.60 at the end of this month. Cheeky barstewards. I’m getting on to them in the morning and if they can’t do anything, I’m ditching and switching.
Sorted. Didn’t get the £70 voucher though as that’s through USwitch but got it at the 'new customer, price. :cool: Oh, I could have got an extra £3 a month off that if I had taken a Vodafone SIM card for £10 a month (which included 100Gb data) but I’m happy with my current provider at the moment (ID mobile).

IMG_5706.jpeg

Been in touch with Community fibre, and will be switching to them. First thing I did was to contact Virgin to renegotiate, but to no avail. Could have got it down to £99 a month but still too much. Community fibre run off BT telephone poles (the black boxes they've been fitting on top of them) and will run a new cable in as part of the (free) install. £25 a month for 1Gbps plus £10 a monthe for unlimited phone to UK landlines and mobiles. No TV package (though they do have one) so I will be just watching things on Freeview, though I mostly watch YouTube. I think I also get a £100 Amazon voucher as well as the person who recommended them to me.

Please keep us updated on speeds, reliability, etc, as they may be a viable alternative when it comes to switching time (y)

Is the community fibre price ongoing or a promotional discount for a while? If so you may have similar issues when the discount ends, although at least you'll then be able to get a new customer deal from Virgin, you could probably just tart about between the two of them indefinitely.

Make sure you give the wifi your own name and password if you aren't doing this already. Then you can setup any new router to have matching details and all your wifi devices will seamlessly transfer over as they won't know the difference.

Even if you were previously using Virgin's default wifi name/pass then you could set the new one to match it. But better to get a nice name that makes sense. Some recommend not using any location info, e.g. the house or your name, for security reasons but probably not really an issue.

Sponsored Links
Back