best combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i need a new combi (condensing)
what is the best make ?
Baxi, Vaillant, Potterton or Worcester,
i have a small bungalow with only a shower/sink etc
where is the best place to buy one (online)
i have a corgi man to do the install.
thanks

Sponsored Links
thats a great help,
ok whats the best non condensing combi ??
if you have a good non condensing boiler then the same company should make a good condensing one (i assume)

Sponsored Links
sorry still is the most popular choice and i have to say i havent been out to repair one single condensing combi of the new type yet :cool:
so we must be doing something right as they are selling well :LOL:

you may disagree DOITALL and that is your perogative but im sorry to say you are in the minority in general :p

To be honest no one is in a position to tell you the best, we can only tell you what we prefer...different areas tend to have different boilers, where I live it is predominantly glow-worms and worcesters in condensing boilers and I'd have no hesitation in pointing you towards a greenstar out of those 2. I knock in about 50 jobs a week and very rarely see vailiant although most like them and have never seen a potterton condensing model more current than a promax so can't really comment. At the end of the day your installer will wan't to fit the most reliable model he knows as I can guarantee he won't want to be coming back to it once its in.

JOhn what I meant was that many of them are new models. Quite often there will be one component which lets a new model down even if the rest of the design is very good.
The only condensing combi I can think of which has not been updated for a while is the Ideal Isar

gazthepottertonengineer said:
sorry still is the most popular choice and i have to say i havent been out to repair one single condensing combi of the new type yet :cool:
so we must be doing something right as they are selling well :LOL:

you may disagree DOITALL and that is your perogative but im sorry to say you are in the minority in general :p

Bet we get lots asking about common faults after Christmas :LOL:

I'm completely un-biased about modern boilers Gaz.

90% are crap even if they are getting better.

Stop using the end user as a guinea pig :rolleyes:

ChrisR said:
JOhn what I meant was that many of them are new models. Quite often there will be one component which lets a new model down even if the rest of the design is very good.
The only comdening combi I can think of which has not been updated for a while is the Ideal Isar/Icos (can never remember which is the combi).

Isar Chris...been a cracking little boiler since it was overhauled but still a bit of a mare to work on and still has a bad reputation left over from its first incarnation.

thanks for your comments
im thinkikng going for the worcester or potterton i have had a look online and the potterton is almost half the price,
is the worcester worth the extra
i am a beliver in you get what you pay for but is there a difference in the quality
if i calculate all my rads (btus) is this the ouput of the boiler or should i be over with the boiler size
and what about the hot water output (two hot taps and one shower)
many thanks

If your set on a combi you need the biggest you can get as the power is used to heat your hot water.....it is relatively easy for the boiler to heat the rads when compared to an instant hot water demand.

been installing glow worm 30cxi , seem like a good boiler. had no problems so far. u get a 2 year guarantee.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back