Best FS CF replacement boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fortunate/unfortunate enough to qualify for a free new boiler inc fitting and insulation, under this govt. "green scheme" wotsit.

Which is the best FS, CF, gravity HW (if poss.), gas boiler. I've narrowed it down to: Worcester Greenstar 30CDi and Potterton FS Promax – which seems cheap compared to the 30CDi. Any other contenders? (not impressed with Ideal) Reliability is key – I'm unaccustomed to spending money on broken boilers.

My current boiler is an antique Gloworm 60,000 btu, FS, CF, gravity HW. It's about 35 years old and has never cost me NOWT! Though it kettles like a… kettle drum. I bought it second-hand for £60 in 1981.

I replaced the HW flow and return pipes in 28mm copper 5 years ago and fitted a new indirect cylinder ect in the attic. I like the workings of a FS, CF, gravity HW boiler. It's sited in the kitchen chimney alcove, the flue gasses go up the chimney; which helps warm the bathroom and landing above; "waste" heat from the boiler heats the kitchen – I never need the kitchen rad on.

I have the gravity HW on 24/7 during winter to provide background heat at night. My 2 cat's sleep on top of the boiler; I don't want them to be cold.

I should fit a cyl.stat. and zone valve to stop the HW overheating. Probably connecting the bathroom rad to the F&R of the HW, below the zone valve.

What do the "real" heating engineers think is the best solution please?

p.s. I'm new here :)

Sponsored Links
Gravity hot water is not an option anymore. And nor is a cf boiler. If you are upgrading your boiler you must also upgrade the system to fully pumped. (Could be a big job) Of the 2 boilers you have mentioned i would go for the worcester. But consider putting a wall mounted boiler, perhaps in a different place, for example the airing cupboard. You will find a much better range and quality of wall mounted boilers

plus modern condensing appliances are relatively cool when operating, so your cats might have to find somewhere new to sleep ;)

Sponsored Links
Blimey, that was quick TCC; thanks :) I half guessed that gravity might not be doable. Ho-hum.

The Potterton seems, from what I read in the online installation manwell to be CF able… sorta. The 80mm flue could go into the existing s/s liner – there is a "twin flue" option apparently. Another 80mm pipe for fresh air intake – which I figured would go through the kitchen floor boards, to take fresh air from the - big - void underneath; which has about 10 airbricks supplying a good draft.

I suppose the regs will not allow sumat as elegant as that though. Hmm.

Thanks Dean, I'll probably have to "modernise" my thinking as well as the boiler. Cats will not be best pleased.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back