Best light fitting for this situation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Evening

I have been over to my sisters house today, and basically, her partner some time back removed a square shaped light fitting (see later photos) and attempted to fit an Ikea light fitting but failed.

The general situation is, the light was attached to a 25mm conduit terminal box, and I intended to fit the original fitting back, but it has been suggested he had got rid of the fitting.
Another part of the room has an identical light fitting, but whether I can get an exact match might be a different story for all I know.

The photo labelled, Ikea light, is where the fitting was, and the terminal box is rather crammed, and consists of 1 3 core and earth, 3 twin and earth, and a 2.5mm twin and earth going straight through.

Ultimately, can anyone suggest a fitting to fit this 25 mm box AND be able to hold all the terminations?

The photos of the wall light (the same type that was where the IKEA light is now) are taken with the cover removed and wiring exposed since I am adding an extra light elsewhere (but forgot to take an actual photo with the cover on.....)

Cheers

Attachments

• IKEA_Light_fitting[1].jpg
    IKEA_Light_fitting[1].jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Square_Wall_Light[1].jpg
    Square_Wall_Light[1].jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 90
  • Square_Wall_Light_2[1].jpg
    Square_Wall_Light_2[1].jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Many Thanks,

I am not sure what the lamp wattage was, I didn't think to look.

Although the light fittings are the outdoor type, they are fitted indoors, and aren't exposed in any way to weather.

I did think of a standard batten holder, however there is no way all the wiring could be crammed into the ceiling rose base or even the terminal box, but the last light fitting would probably have had a base big and deep enough to do so.

Other than that though, any fitting which has rear entry and can be screwed to a 25 mm conduit box is what I'm enquiring about.

PS. Look at the neutrals in the first picture, they pulled out at the gentlest of tugs!

Regards

Have a look at bathroom LED lights too, quite a range exist now.

Sponsored Links
As @SUNRAY , there are loads of flat bathroom LED fittings from the likes of Toolstation, the last 2 I bought both had screwholes & cable entries for conduit.
If you get really stuck for space for the connections, put an extender on the conduit junction.

I did think of a standard batten holder, however there is no way all the wiring could be crammed into the ceiling rose base or even the terminal box, but the last light fitting would probably have had a base big and deep enough to do so.

You can buy conduit boxes, designed to be mounted on top of another conduit box, to double the amount of space of the single box. Alternatively, you could buy a small box, drill the back to match the 2" fixing holes and add a large hole in the back between the 2" fixings, then mount your fitting on the lid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back