Ikea lights- no earth connection

Lai

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought two Ikea lights now, neither of them have an earth connection. I have read a bit on line and saw that you are supposed to tape up and put in a terminal block. Could someone elaborate on this for me? Do I just buy green and yellow tape and cover the exposed wires and then put it in a 5A terminal block then leave it hanging in the light fitting?

Had trouble with ikea lights in getting them flush with the ceiling. anyone else had this problem?

Sponsored Links
You don't need tape. Just put the earth wires (with G/Y sleeving on the exposed sections) into a connector block. It is vitally important that they are properly connected to each other.

• Thanks
Reactions: Lai
Thanks for your reply! So forgive me for being a simpleton, but I don't know how to put G/Y sleeving on the exposed sections? It already has sleeving on but then there is about 1.5cm of the small thin copper wires screwed into the existing ceiling rose back plate- which i will be removing. Can i twist these small wires up and put them into a connector block?

Does it matter which connector block?

Thanks for your reply! So forgive me for being a simpleton, but I don't know how to put G/Y sleeving on the exposed sections? It already has sleeving on
Then you don't need to put any on.

Can i twist these small wires up and put them into a connector block?
Shouldn't be any need to twist them

Does it matter which connector block?
Smaller the better if you want to get it into the light. 2-3A size will be fine.

• Thanks
Reactions: Lai
Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help. Can I run through my next steps with you just to check I am doing the right thing.

1- Turn mains off! Existing standard ceiling rose has 2 blue wires 2 brown wires 1 green/yellow.
2- Unscrew outer blue and brown wires to remove existing light
3- Unscrew ceiling rose back plate, unscrew earth wire and remaining blue and brown wire from existing ceiling rose.
4- screw in a flat plate hook that comes with the light from Ikea.
5- connect brown and blue wires coming from ceiling into the L and N connector on ikea light
6- get a 3A connector and put the earth wire from ceiling and put it in it
7- hook ikea light onto hook and screw up to make flush with ceiling.

I live in a tenement flat on the top floor- don't have access to above ceiling.
I cant check what the original ceiling rose was screwed into. Shall I just use the existing holes?

Are there special screws that I can use to help with the weight of the new pendant light?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back