Best material for a veranda roof please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’m building a substantial veranda 10m x 3m with 8 degree pitch. Preferred roof option would be glass but that is coming in at £2000.

Would be grateful for any thoughts on other options such as polycarbonate or Perspex or any other option someone may have experience off.
cheers

Sponsored Links
Perspex is no good, it needs to be thick to avoid bending and costs as much as glass. Polycarbonate or Corrugated PVC sheets will be more economical.

You can sometimes pick up job lots of polycarbonate sheets off Marketplace when people convert their conservatory roofs to solid.

Last time I looked perspex in 3m lengths was a lot of money. More than glass.
I was going to do a 6x3m lean-to in glass at 600mm centres... until I saw a sheet of twin wall in B&Q, suddenly realised I wouldn't be able to lift glass that easily, left alone tweak it and secure it, without breaking.

I ended up using 16mm Axiome multi-wall, it isn't what I wanted, but now it's up, it looks good and I don't regret using this.
I used Alukap glazing rafter bars, very smart product... there is self supporting aluminium versions as well. A good system for DIY build.

Don't look on the website at the customers photos, there are some shocking buildso_O

Axiome sheet

Last edited:
Thanks for all that input guys.
After far to much umming and arrrring I settled for glass. 11/2500 x900x8 mm cost me £750 which was cheaper than any alternative I could find.

Sponsored Links
Post a pic once you've done, would be good to see it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back