Best material for filling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to fill some trowel marks and imperfections and the like and then sand prior to painting.

What's your go to product for filling on a plastered wall?

Sponsored Links
I would sand the walls first to minimise any trowel marks before doing any filling.

If you dont have a decent random, or orbital sander that connects to a dust extractor then at a minimum, consider buying a hand sander that will connect to a vacuum cleaner, eg

As a decorator, I use the Toupret fillers. TX110 if I want it to set quickly, the standard if you want to save a couple of quid.

The dust from all powder based fillers stick to everything, hence my recommendation to use a vacuum. If you use a domestic vacuum cleaner, tap the bag every 5 mins or so. The dust will block the holes in the cloth bag and may overheat the motor.

I would sand the walls first to minimise any trowel marks before doing any filling.

If you dont have a decent random, or orbital sander that connects to a dust extractor then at a minimum, consider buying a hand sander that will connect to a vacuum cleaner, eg

As a decorator, I use the Toupret fillers. TX110 if I want it to set quickly, the standard if you want to save a couple of quid.

The dust from all powder based fillers stick to everything, hence my recommendation to use a vacuum. If you use a domestic vacuum cleaner, tap the bag every 5 mins or so. The dust will block the holes in the cloth bag and may overheat the motor.

I'll grab a box of that Toupret from Toolstation, I need to pick up some other stuff too.

I've ordered this sanding pad for my pole, you can't connect a vac to this obviously but I intend sanding the whole wall area and ceiling. I've got a Henry Hoover and the carpets are sacrificial so I'm not too bothered about the dust.

Sponsored Links
Fair play, you will need 225mm hook and loop sanding disks.

It definitely looks better than the rectangular pole attachments. Be advised that sanding a ceiling with a pole is very hard work though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back