Best Oil Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace an old oil boiler with a new one (fairly large detached house). I have a single pipe system so I am not going to fit a condensing boiler. Are there any particular boilers that are better than others?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:
not going to do a lot of condensing

s**t fell for it again
old git :p

:p :p :p :p :p

Actually the water comes out the boiler and goes around the large house and comes back at the same temperature as a 2 pipe system would.

Pipes are probably larger than a modern 2 pipe system as well therefore more heat loss and an even colder return.

I would have no problem fitting a steamy boiler in this case, subject to further details of course.

ill get ya one of these days mate :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ;)

praise2.gif

Well,....yes, some are better than others, but you'll get as many different opinions as there are plumbers (and other associated trades) and if someone is going to supply and fit, he might well try and sell you the one he makes the most on.

You haven't given much away, is it floor standing? Do you want a wall mount? do you want a combi? How big? What output? In a kitchen? In a boiler room?

Generally you're lucky that all oil boilers are pretty good. There aren't any nasty heaps as there are with gas, except if they have Ecoflam Minor 1 burners. They will all last 20 years if looked after, but if you just want the simplest/cheapest remember 20 years is a long time for the sake of a bit more thought.

they are all the same .flame firing into a box.

but there are some clever ones. and not so clever ones.

depends on your house...and what will fit?....

hrm wallstar..sublime design, in fact id like to "meet the fokkers" that designed it. and shake their hands.... and then you get thermecon designs....and you think.......did someone actually get paid to design that???? ...that could also apply to the through the wall worcester danesmoor..... :cry: :cry: :cry:

but in reality, as the customer you will not know any difference...all makes will turn and burn.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

oilman said:
You haven't given much away, is it floor standing? Do you want a wall mount? do you want a combi? How big? What output? In a kitchen? In a boiler room?

Generally you're lucky that all oil boilers are pretty good. There aren't any nasty heaps as there are with gas, except if they have Ecoflam Minor 1 burners. They will all last 20 years if looked after, but if you just want the simplest/cheapest remember 20 years is a long time for the sake of a bit more thought.

The old Potterton is currently in a small room on it's own so I was thinking about a floor standing Merlin 150-185 for example. The doewnstairs part of the system is 22mm pipe but upstairs, which was added much later, is 15mm.
If the length of the pipe work means the return temperature is low enough I would actually like to use a condensing boiler but I was told it won't condense on a one pipe system.

Whilst one pipe systems have the disadvantage that the rads furthest from the flow are cooler if they are working now then they should work on a condensing boiler.

There is a very good argument that with the usual greater flow differential they are better suited to a condensing boiler!

First thing is to measure the temperature differential with the system as it is. That will be a guide to the suitability. A temperatuire scrolling boiler will be best.

Another thing to ensure is that a professional sizes the boiler to your house. Over sizing a condensing boiler loses the condensing advantages very quickly. Home owners are the worst culprits in this always thinking a bigger boiler is better when it is the opposite!

Tony Glazier

Agile said:
First thing is to measure the temperature differential with the system as it is. That will be a guide to the suitability. A temperatuire scrolling boiler will be best.
Tony Glazier

Thank you for your reply. Can you tell me what temperature differential is necessary?
Also can you please enlighten me as to what a temperature scrolling boiler is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back