Best option to get a working shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

my name is Ricardo and I just moved in to a rented flat with my girlfriend in Bournemouth. She was the one that went house searching and totally neglected the fact that there was no shower!

So in my ingenuity I have replaced the single hot and cold taps with a basic bath shower mixer, only to realized that there was not enough pressure on the shower. After a little bit of researching I realized that the problem was the whole set up of the toilet.

I took some photos and would like some advice on what it will be the best and the most cost effective solution in order to get a working shower.

Some of you in this forum are probably professionals so if you can give me a rough quote on the job I would be grateful.

Regards

Sponsored Links
Any signs of there being an electrical shower at any point?

Have you checked that the terms of your tenancy agreement allow you to carry out such work without the permission of your landlord?

Sponsored Links
Hi Richard

Thanks for your concern. I want to know first what are my options. Then I will approach the landlord, I will obviously need the landlord approval.

Regards

An electric shower is an option but you could also fit a pump to your existing set up. The problem you have is your cold water storage tank is at the same height as your shower head & that is why you have no pressure to the shower, if you lower the shower head down in the bath you will find that will improve the pressure, it's not a solution just something to prove a point.
If you want a decent shower at no cost stand under that old galvanised tank & wait for it to start leaking....... by the looks of it you wont have too long to wait. :LOL:

A basic electric shower plumber in to the existing bath supply is probably going to be the best & cheapest option for you. You can’t really get much cheaper than something like this;

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...wers,+taps+and+accessories+>+electric+showers

or there are more sophisticated/expensive models. You will need to add the cost of plumbing installation, tile work & it will require a separate & protected circuit & that may throw up more expense, depending on the age of the existing consumer unit. On the electrical side, it must be installed, tested & certified by a qualified Part P electrician.

A booster pump is another option but looking at the current set up, there appears to be several limiting factors; the age/condition/capacity of the system, the existing pipe work layout, the position of the CWS tank would mean a more expensive negative head pump &, unless I’m mistaken, the pipe work seems to be emerging from what looks like a concrete floor. Upgrading such a set up & fitting a booster pump is likely to be far more expensive, probably running well into 4 figures.

I see that the landlord is not going to be happy with the quotes...

Do you think I could get a qualified electrician to prepare the wiring for a negative head pump and install the pump with the current layout?

Could the pump be placed just underneath the bathtub?

Regards

I see that the landlord is not going to be happy with the quotes...
Errm, are you expecting the landlord to pay for this? I though they didn’t know your intention yet! If the bathroom is functioning perfectly well as it is, albeit with out a shower, why would the landlord pay for one unless you have already come to an agreement or can come to one that suits them? I certainly wouldn’t pay for it without expecting an immediate rent hike to recover at least 50% of the cost over a maximum of one year’s rental; if I was prepared to bother at all!
Do you think I could get a qualified electrician to prepare the wiring for a negative head pump and install the pump with the current layout?
Not sure what you’re asking but if it’s about qualified install of the wiring & DIY finish off then that’s a no; it’s a rental property & everything has to be done by the book. On the other hand, many pumps come with a 3 pin plug (or will work with one) anyway so powering the pump from a spur socket/fused spur box in the airing cupboard is not usually a problem. Your problem is going to be with the current system, tank, fittings & pipe work runs etc. not the wiring for a shower pump. From what I can see of the current arrangement, just hooking in a shower pump will give problems, that's why I suggested an electric shower.
Could the pump be placed just underneath the bathtub?
Sometimes it’s done but it’s not the ideal or usually the manufacturers recommended location; I wouldn’t do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back