Best way to block drafts escaping through holes in plasterboard behind kitchen units where stock cock/pipes come in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the kitchen, there is plasterboard in front of an external unfilled cavity wall. Between the plasterboard and wall runs various bits of pipework, including the mains supply and central heating pipes coming from the external boiler. Therefore, there are numerous holes in the plasterboard and this space is continuous with the outside i.e. cold with a tangible airflow.

Pictured is my stop cock and pressure reducing valve through the back of one of the kitchen cupboards as an example.

The central heating pipe access is much harder - they come in at floor level right in a far corner under the cabinets.

What would be the best way to block these gaps? I was thinking stuffing mineral wool into the holes, which will still enable me to access the pipework in the future.

Attachments

• PXL_20231026_174924107.jpg
    PXL_20231026_174924107.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 1698342542168_100.JPG
    1698342542168_100.JPG
    322.8 KB · Views: 57
Sponsored Links
Update: thank you for the reassurance. I've now plugged the large gaps with mineral wool/bubble wrap depending on what was easier to insert in each location. The drafts have certainly been reduced. No longer do I get a cold rim around the draw infront of the stop cock on the thermal camera, for example.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You could stuff the in laws in there if they annoy you!

You could also (as well as the insulation) cover the hole up with a piece of wood secured by some simple wooden pegs screwed into a length of wood held behind the existing board, so when you need access you simply turn the pegs to remove the wood, identify whats behind with a notice on it.
(I say peg because I cannot remember what to call a bit of wood with a pivot/screw at one end).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back