Best way to drain a towel radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to remove a towel radiator to ease sanding / painting the walls. The towel rad is fed from the floor and I cannot get a bucket / bowl under the valve to catch the water. I am thinking about partially draining the CH system and removing it then. Any other suggestions on removing the towel rad?

Also, i am going to add some CH cleaner to help get rid of any gunk in the system. If I poured it into the F&E tank (we have a conventional system) would it find it's way through the entire system or just stay in the F&E tank. Is it worth partially draining the system, removing the towel rad and adding the CH cleaner into the F&E before re-filling with water?

Sponsored Links
Re the draining I use a painter's tray to catch rad water (one used for paint rollers). They are flat and low and hold a reasonable amount.

Hi

I want to remove a towel radiator to ease sanding / painting the walls. The towel rad is fed from the floor and I cannot get a bucket / bowl under the valve to catch the water. I am thinking about partially draining the CH system and removing it then. Any other suggestions on removing the towel rad?
Use an ice cream container, old baking tin or other flat container; turn the rad valves off , loosen the valve coupling (on the radiator) & drain into the container, empty into a bucket & repeat until the rad is empty. Tilt the other end of the rad to get the remaining contents of the rad into the tin before you attempt to remove it or you’ll end up with black goo all over the floor.
Also, i am going to add some CH cleaner to help get rid of any gunk in the system. If I poured it into the F&E tank (we have a conventional system) would it find it's way through the entire system or just stay in the F&E tank. Is it worth partially draining the system, removing the towel rad and adding the CH cleaner into the F&E before re-filling with water?

You need to partially drain the system & pour the cleaner/inhibitor directly into the feed from the tank; I use a small funnel.

Can you unscrew the complete bleed valve from the top of the rad, and drop a hose in to syphon it?

If a garden hose is too big, then a few feet of clear plastic hose as used for aquariums, car windscreen washers etc. would do it.

If you can't, and the pipes and valves are vertical so the water would just run down the pipes if you undo a joint, then I would consider pinching a bit of plasticene off the kids and mould a cup shape with a spout around the pipe to catch the water and funnel it into said paint tray.

Sponsored Links
Can you unscrew the complete bleed valve from the top of the rad, and drop a hose in to syphon it?

If a garden hose is too big, then a few feet of clear plastic hose as used for aquariums, car windscreen washers etc. would do it.

If you can't, and the pipes and valves are vertical so the water would just run down the pipes if you undo a joint, then I would consider pinching a bit of plasticene off the kids and mould a cup shape with a spout around the pipe to catch the water and funnel it into said paint tray.

I like your idea.... wished I'd watched more of Blue Peter now as a kid.

Thanks to all.

garrymum,

Another way, if you have enough play in the pipes.

Turn off valves and crack the rad union nuts so you just get a drip pf water coming out.

Lift the rad gently off the brackets and lower the top down to the floor.
This will get the water away from the unions.

Undo the union nuts and carefully carry the rad outside or tip contents down sink/toilet if nearby.

Rico

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back