Best way to fix extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently moved to a property with bathroom where the fan is above >3m high off the ground directly above the bath - circled in red.

What is the best way you think it can be reached? Will this cost more than usual to fix due to its position if I were to get someone in?

1 June 2016 234359 BST.png

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Not impossible. Does the glass shower screen swivel, if not I would want it removed and then you could access the fan with a short ladder. With someone footing it - I guess the floor is tiled?

Just curious - Why do you need to access it? Is it faulty?

are you sure that's a fan? It looks like just a grille from the photo, is there an in line fan in the loft somewhere?

Sponsored Links
Not impossible. Does the glass shower screen swivel, if not I would want it removed and then you could access the fan with a short ladder. With someone footing it - I guess the floor is tiled?

Just curious - Why do you need to access it? Is it faulty?
Yes, its not turning

Have you checked the easier things first? FCU fuse blown, somebody turned off the isolation switch, etc.
Otherwise you/someone has to get s ladder up there. Either per my post above, or dust sheet in the bath, then a sheet of ply, then ladder.
Once there you'll need to know what/how to test it.
Alternately, get a spark in and make it his/her problem

Have you checked the easier things first? FCU fuse blown, somebody turned off the isolation switch, etc.
Otherwise you/someone has to get s ladder up there. Either per my post above, or dust sheet in the bath, then a sheet of ply, then ladder.
Once there you'll need to know what/how to test it.
Alternately, get a spark in and make it his/her problem
What should I expect to pay for such a job?

Impossible to say.
Depends on lots of things, including:
  • access to fan,
  • what is wrong with it,
  • where you live (london prices are in a different league to, say, Stoke on Trent (sorry, Stoke)
  • can the electrician be bothered with a simple job like that considering his work load/other more lucrative /interesting jobs
  • if your car has a personalised number plate
all sorts

I assume its a fan because there is a lot of dust attached to it
I meant is that just a vent grill for a remote duct mounted fan.
View attachment 99998
Is there some signs I should look out for which would let me know for sure either way or only way is to go up and check it?
If you have a camera with zoom on or take a pic closer to the fan you should be able to see the fan blades through the slots if its a normal fan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back