Best way to put sockets and lights in a shed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a sort of 'lean to' shed that runs along the outside wall of the house. I want to put a double socket in it and a couple of lights.

I'm not sure about the correct way to do this but I was thinking about running a 2.5mm cable from a 6A breaker at the distribution board and then linking all the lights and socket in the shed together.

Is this the right way to do it?

I know that in a house the lights and sockets are on different circuits? Is there a reason for this that would preclude me from having the socket and lights from the same breaker in the shed?

Is 6A enough for the lights and the socket. I'll only be using the socket for the lawn mower, power washer etc.

Also, is 2.5mm a big enough size?

Sorry if these are simplistic questions but any help you can give me would be really appreciated.

I realise that one possibility is to put another distribution board in the shed but it seems a lot of expense for 2 lights and a socket?

Many thanks

John ;)

Sponsored Links
6 amps is not enough.

With your level of knowledge I would suggest you do not attempt this work yourself.

If you were to do it yourself, take a 20 amp radial circuit into the shed from the fuseboard. Use 2.5mm cable. Feed a couple of double sockets, then a fused connection unit fitted with a 3 amp fuse. From this FCU feed the lights.

If you dont understand any of this, ask. But as I said, I would advise you dont do this. A little knowledge is much more dangerous than no knowledge.

also adding a new circuit is notifiable to builing control, by the time you pay them to sign the work off your probably best getting a sparky in. Also dont forget you'll need RCD protection...

Sponsored Links
All good advice.
If there is any possibility of the supply cable being exposed I would suggest it is run in SWA cable.
RCD protection is deffinitly needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back