best way to remove old loft insulation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My new flat has a loft ( 1st floor, loft is mine.. )
I want to replace all the existing loft insulation with new because the old is pretty much just dust now.. all fell apart and black as hell..

I was wondering if it is possible to get a large industrial vacume or something like a workshop dust extractor and a long hose to vac it out.

or is it just a case of gloves, white paper overalls, dust mask and lots of bin bags?

someone ought to make a living out of this...

must look into it on the net...

Sponsored Links
Yes you can hire a big vac, They are quite heavy and can lurch about when the hose contracts when it gets blocked. You could also buy an Aquavac or similar. Buy several of the brown paper dust bags, as the filters will get clogged otherwise.

Wear a dust mask and gloves. This is important. Also overalls or a tracksuit that you can throw away afterwards. And a hat.

Take lots of black bags up there to stuff the old insulation into. Tape them shut so that dust and fibres aren't scattered round your house.

Take stronger bags for the black dirt, it is quite heavy.

If your roof is not felted then the loft will soon get dirty again. Sorry.

After you have taken out the old insulation and hoovered it is a good time to apply preservative in case of woodworm, and repair any wiring or install a loft lamp.

Put a dustsheet under the hatch for you to land on and remove your boots and overalls there before you scatter dirt about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back