Best way to repair roof..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just joined the forum and looking for advice.

Basically friend bought a house which was held off until completion cert was issued for extending an existing single garage to a double...or a near double.

Anyway on inspection, the cert had been issued and they had used second hand sheets on the roof, which means holes where previous fixings had been and as a result leaks.

Is there any comeback on this, I spoke to guy in council who signed it off and he couldnt give a rats, said it could have a huge hole in it, its not habitable so doesnt matter.

Surely this is a breach, health safety ect, water and electrics dont mix too well.

Apparently the sheets dont overlap enough...or so I'm told.

Also the gutter doesnt go into a drain, think its meant to?

So all this is in Scotland if that makes a hoot with the regs etc.

For time being whats best way to make said holes waterproof.

Some of that waterproof tape on the outside and some silicone on the inside?

Any ideas or tips.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
why should the council be liable for shoddy work on a glorified shed?

are you a health and safety nazi or what?

Why, I dont know thats why I'm asking you and anyone else that can advise.

Well they sent someone out to sign the work off.

Now I'm no ****ing Nazi but if I seen holes in the roof I might be a bit concerned!

Anyone else out there a bit helpful perhaps, I'm not here to argue!

Oh and on the drainage, consider the area has been subject to bad floods in the past, thought that might be a good idea!

Sponsored Links
Anyone advise on the best option to make watertight other than getting existing sheets removed for new?

you might try Densyl Tape over the holes

Is that stuff totally waterproof and will it stick ok just laid flat onto something as opposed to being wrapped round?

I put on of those horrible metal sheds up for my parents and it came with some silver so called waterproof tape if I recall correctly but not sure if its upto much at at, its not exposed as such on the shed whereas i certainly would be on this roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back