Bevel or compund - the difference

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Geezers!

I just brought a powered compound mitre power saw.

I need to cut cornice and pelmets.

My question is this.

As far as I thought I could stand the cornice upright against the fence (as if the fence is the wall) and do a 45 degree cut. This would then match the right angles.

However, since I have a compound cutter on this thing, should I lay the cornice down (with the top to the fence) and cut it with the compund action on.

What is the correct way. - All I am doing is fitting cornice to cabinets that should be right angles.

Thanks alot

Sponsored Links
If laying it flat you'll need to know the angle of the cornice moulding - two common angles are 38 and 45 degrees. I prefer to have a little home-made jig which hold the cornice upright with the face side facing outwards, that way the saw blade is cutting into the face side rather than out of it which means less chipping out - very important with vinyl-wrapped or veneered cornice. Also as many of the angles I cut aren't 45 degrees (ever seen a square room? me neither) I tend to set my angles using one of these by Trend:

anglefix2.jpg

The little plate in the middle bisects the angle and allows you to set the appropriate cutting angle

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back