BIASI riva compact M90E.32S problems!! advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.
has anyone had or having problems with the above combi boiler?
it is 5 years old, and had many problems with it
pcb was replaced 2 years ago, various other little bits replaced.. cant think to name them! and now, i am at the end of my tether :eek:( and simply wasted enough time money and cold showers to now wanting to rip it out.
CH works fine, but the HW never works, so it is sparking up ok! for the CH but never for the hot water HW.
I just want to know if these BIASI boilers are as pants as i think they are.?
to ease my mind knowing that buying a new ARISTON 32 CCB is going to be the best thing in the long run.

the Mains water pipe outside is very old and rusty, and is being replaced asap, but upon running hot water, when it was running hot! last week the odd little black bit of debris bits would be in the bath!
would i be right in thinking that the secondary HE is now blocked. as the combi would gurgle and whistle and wind up, and down sort of noises would come from it. even when it was just on for the CH.
i have had 2 cert plumber engineers out, and they both say different things.
I read the the secondary HE in other posting need cleaning, would this be a good next step?
I do not think they knew what is wrong with it.
but one says to replace the secondary HE unit. the other says that the pcb is again faulty!!
is there anything i can do, to try and fix what may be a simple problem..
i am more than capable to to do what might be needed, just do not what to waste my time, nor pay some PlumbBoy to waste my time and money.

Sponsored Links
When you open the hot tap , the flow of water should activate the hot water flow switch , this switch has a red lamp /led that should light up , when or if it is activated ?? , you would need a min. flow of approx, 2.5 litres a min (I think from memory )

The Biasi boilers are one of the most reliable boilers on the market. Aristons are one of the less reliable.

You clearly have a poor opinion of boiler engineers ( who you call plumbers! ).

I note that you have had two come out but you have not asked either one to fix the boiler.

If you expected a free fault diagnosis then I hope that they gave you wrong information.

I can fix any Biasi boiler but in your case from what you have said it seems that you dont actually want to pay anyone to fix it as you think that we are all ignorant and not worth paying and that we should tell you whats wrong so that you can fix it yourself because you are "more than capable". In fact unless you are already earning over £80k then I am surprised you don't already work as a heating engineer.

Before you continue your misguided ranting against Biasi boilers just think for a moment where dirt in the hot water is coming from? Is it fair to blame Biasi for dirt in your supply pipe?

Tony

hi Tony

oh my god!!

sorry, is this somewhere one can come, and get shot by a member of the death squad?

I had 2 tech's - sorry engineers out to come and inspect it.
they could not answer.. only saying to replace this, replace that on the boiler. but not once did they say it is a dirty mains water pipe, as I had told them of my concern re the pipe. hence why I call them PlumbBoys.. charging a lot for not knowing what to do.

i have in the past had an engineer out twice to fix it ( a different problem, each time ) which cost enough. so hence my feeling towards biasi units. biased yes.. just a little.
as still it plays up.. this is why I am on here.

tony, thanks for your input :LOL: but if i want to be snipped.. i would go onto snipe dot.com :cool:

of which i am sure you would be posting your private views on people you have never met, left right and center ;)

Ariston I have been informed is a good reliable make, but who am i to know, this is why I am on here! to find out more but also to find out just how bad my Biasi is, is it worth the extra cost! as some faults that i have read on this site sound very simple.. to fix, and also showing very similar problems to my boiler. and if I am unable to fix it then I can get an engineer in
with a little backing and info, as no one seems to know how to fix a biasi!! he, and I might be able to find the problem

no i wanted it fixed. but i am sorry, unless i get soemone saying it is this. or it is that.. i will not allow some plumboy engineer to attempt to fix something they clearly show they no little about.

the mains water pipe is being replaced.. so before i get a new boiler fitted.. i.e. before the pipe is fitted i simply do not wish for the new combi fitted, i hope you understand toni
so, what are the simple ways to fix it, can it be fixed, can i find a local ENGINEER that knows his as from his elbow, to fix it?

but so far, everyone on here knows how to fix it.. but no one local to me

ps what I earn is not your concern ;)
nor what I can do, you do not know me.. so please go and post elsewhere bud or go and get some sleep like normal people instead of sniping at 4am lmao

Sponsored Links
hi Tony

I had 2 tech's - sorry engineers out to come and inspect it.
they could not answer.. only saying to replace this, replace that on the boiler. but not once did they say it is a dirty mains water pipe, as I had told them of my concern re the pipe. hence why I call them PlumbBoys.. charging a lot for not knowing what to do.

You should never be paying anyone if they dont know how to fix a boiler.

But you should expect to pay anyone who comes and diagnoses the problem.

I can fix any boiler and Biasi are one of the easiest ones to work on.

You can ask the company for details of their local service engineer, just call them during the afternoon on 0121 506 1340. They can take a while to answer as its a busy time at the moment.

If you have been told that Ariston are very good boilers then ask yourself what experience of boilers the person telling you that was. Perhaps he was just their salesman?

The quality of advice depends on the calibre of the person giving it !

Tony

hi Tony

many thanks for the contact number and for the advice.
and yes you might be right.
i will call and see what i can arrange

cheers for your help

J

upon reading a few other biasi combi problems, i have turned down the setting for the hot water, to around 75%. or 2oclock as it were and we do have luke warm to warm ish water running.. and also runs cold lol, when the tap is turned on.
but i shall wait for the engineer to haev a look see and go from there.

sorted..

getting a biasi engineer to come and have a look tomorrow

cheers tony

That sounds like a blocked plate heat exchanger.

Be aware thats not a fault of the makers! Its not their dirt. Its from your heating system probabvly because the system was not cleaned properly when the boiler was fitted.

Its normal to power flush the system to clean it. The installer should guarantee the cleanliness whatever cleaning method he uses.

Tony

SORTED...
woohoo

Biasi engineer came out..

Cleaned out the Secondary Heat Exchange unit, and the debris that came out of it..wow. including a 10mm x 15mm small piece of pollystyrine!! yes seriously.

the nice thing was, is that he came, and worked out the best thing to do first, and as it became more evident to the problem he fixed it and re set everything.

replaced the Temp Probe,

replaced the Automatic Air Release Valve - as it was in a very Very poor state.

replaced the OverHeat probe Thermostat,

re set the Modulating Gas Valve,

and that was it..

job done. the combi is working fine now.
all in all £130 quid.

cheers for all your help, and this matter.

And I hope this is helpful for anyone else..

This is a prime example to demonstrate that you should always call a competent engineer who knows what he is doing.

Since they have any parts and can get on with the repair without having to wonder what the problem is then the charge is usually quite reasonable.

Tony

Yes you are right
but until i found a competent engineer.. who knew about Biasi combi's instead of an ooh and an aarh guy, saying it might be this, and might be that.. from a plumbboy! I was left feeling i was going to be writing out a blank cheque

all sorted now. woohoo

Its always best to ask questions like:-

Are you familiar with Biasi boilers?

Have you repaired many Biasi boilers?

Are you confident you will be able to diagnose the fault easily?

The symptoms are................. what do you think is likely to be wrong?

What does a typical repair cost?

Aside from any parts needed, how much do you expect to charge?

Seeing how someone responds to questions like this ( not all of them, just 2-3 ) you will be able to get an idea of the type of person you are dealing with.

Tony

I have been reading these posts with interest as I've been experiencing the same problems described here albeit not as frequent.

The Boiler was fitted brand new 5 Years ago when I bought my house (The house was replumbed) , I started experiencing the no hot water issue in January this year.

I will mention this as it could be relevant I noticed some water residue coming from one of the pipes, the scale inibitor . as I have a gas safe CE a few doors away from me he replaced all the washers as they had worn. This was in November so two months before the problem with the hot water.

When this first happened it lasted for about 10 mins so I left the boiler tried it again after 20 mins and it was fine, I noticed the water pressure was below 1 so thought that was the problem so released some water back into the system and bled the radiators. It was fine then for about 6 weeks (Central Heating wasn't affected) Then in March it started again this time the central heating wouldn't start either, the only way to get it working was to power off the boiler for a few hours then powering it back up the boiler and CH was fine for a few more weeks.

In May it started to happen more regular eg 2-3 times a week so thought it would be best to get a Biasi approved Plumber to take a look the problem was hard to diagnose as it was intermittent and when Kevin Woodger came to my house to inspect it typically behaved perfectly and did for another 4 weeks then it flared up again this time both the hot water and CH wouldn't kick in straight away. Kevin returned as usual it was working ok so he decided to replace the PCB which cost £111 plus £60 labour ( good engineer didn't charge me for the first visit and the PCB he replaced is refundable) Boiler worked fine for two weeks then no hot water to get it working I have to turn on the central heating which works 99% of the time, however there has been a few instances when I turn on the hot water tap after the CH comes on the boiler then loses the pilot light and the hot water goes cold.

It has been like this for 2 weeks now and I need to go back to Kevin as I need this fixed with the winter fast approaching.

Tony your expertise would be greatly appreciated so I can go back to Kevin and say this is the problem and this needs replacing

Many Thanks, this is great forum

Unfortunately you have been very vague with your description.

For example Biasi have not sold boilers with pilot lights in th UK.

I dont think that its appropriate for me to tell you what the problem is and then for you to tell Kevin what to do. You choose who you are going to pay to repair your boiler and then you expect them to do it for you.

Firstly I cannot diagnose faults from vague descriptions and secondly there is nothing better than being in front of the boiler.

Tony

oh just a quick update.. for anyone with a need to read about biasi boiler problems
the up shot of all the problems with my pants of a biasi boiler was this

it failed again and again, only weeks after it had the work done in my OP and postings dated 2010 and the main pcb was said to be faulty?? by an engineer!!!!!!! who had years of knowledge of biasi boilers ( so he told me)
but it also failed on a part he failed to replace, even when it is all part of the repair and service that i asked and paid for! it completely failed. With water pisin out all over the shop a week after he had done the work?
it would whistle and squeak and drone and moan at times.. and i was told this was very normal???? oh my dear lord

so the engineer i had out, was a a true PlumBbOy and he still did know his as from his elbow, or face.

so i had the faulty boiler removed, and replaced the unit with a spanking new GlowWorm Ultracom 2 CXi 30, which i found off eaby for only £800 smackers, and the company selling the boilers were only 2 miles up the road from me.
including flue pipe and extra bits needed

all sorted out with a mate fitting it for free.
just bacon rolls and coffee is all he wanted
and in over 2 years the GlowWorm has never missed a beat, as for the old Biashitei that i had removed.
i sold it for £200 as faulty or spares or repair to a guy who was in urgent need of spare parts for his own unit.

Now I know you boy's n girls on here are all very professional, and know your stuff about a lot of things.
and this is why i came on here to get advice and answers to start with

but this update is simply to let anyone else with biasi problems to consider all options before spending money on a repair or service when it is playing up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back