Big leak in attic around chimney stack

OP,
Perhaps you could warn your neighbour that the rain water pipe from his bay roof is a very bad design, and its possible for it to be blocked - maybe it already is semi plugged up?

Has your neighbour ever complained of leaks in his loft?

Sponsored Links
Taking a look at the way the Velux flashing is fitted Maybe he wasn't in his right mind?

Built later or earlier is fair comment. However its impossible to say the slates are original.
That aside water is going to pee through the stack ..

This pic will tell you more. I think the house on the left was added later than my house.

When i was up yesterday, my neighbours roof is in a bad way. Spoke to him today about it and he is going to come up with me when i tackle mine. I will do him a video because there is quite a lot wrong on his side.

datarebal - are you talking about my velux ? Why is water going to pee through the stack ? It has been fine for 12 yrs, now is giving problems. My first job is to do the chimney pots and i think this is the right way to go about it. Then check this parapet, then look at the soakers and flashing. The soakers and flashing for me is a bigger job. Worked with my mate on these before but not done one on my own. So a touch nervous tackling this job. Just hoping i don't need to do this area.

Attachments

• IMG_2029.jpg
    IMG_2029.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 118
Also these pots are worth quite a bit. someone wants to give me £25 a piece for the original ones. An antique dealer will pay about £30 each. Seen them going for £50 each. So pretty sure these pots will pay for all my work on this section of the roof.

Sponsored Links
It will pee through because of gravity! the head of the stack is falling apart in your pictures... Not your velux, your neighbours. The back gutter isnt fitted correctly and there should be clearance at the rear (note the moss) basic stuff.
PS you wont retire on the sale of the pots.. mind you, I guess you could sell the flashings too? :)

I see, i understand what you mean about my neighbours velux. I think he is going to come up with me and try address some of his issues.

The pots though will pay for a big chunk of the scaffold hire, sand/cement, new terminals and maybe some new flashing. Breakeven for me would be great, plus it is for my mum.

pots paying for a big chunk of scaffold.. those pots will likely sit in your mums garden for years with primroses growing out of them..
these guys are quite cheap though .. give them a call.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back