Big Potterton Promax Problems! Noise + lockouts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently moved into a new house and am having big problems with the boiler (Potterton Promax FSB 30 HE).

Basically, every time it starts up from cold, it makes a terrible foghorn-type noise that echoes round the entire house. It's particularly noticeable in the morning when it's starting from cold and goes on for around 5-10 mins, waking everyone in the house up!

Anyway, I took out a fix and support arrangement with BG, thinking they would solve it, but 6 visits later am still in the same position. The BG guys have so far adjusted and then replaced the gas/valve, replaced the fan, replace the burner, emptied and cleaned the condensate trap, and tipped boiler silencer into the feed tank but nothing has made a blind bit of difference so far. If anything, since the silencer has gone in, the noise has changed from being like a foghorn to more like a bees-nest ( :eek: ) but it's still very loud. The boiler is also locking out quite a bit at random now which it didn't do before the work was done!

Anyway, the current position with BG is that they are saying it needs a powerflush as they reckon the pipes are blocked but I'm not very confident this will work given their other attempts, and this time I will have to pick up the cost (£800+) so want some reassurance it'll work first!

Is anyone able to help or provide any advice??

Cheers
Ben

ps. I think the system (or at least parts of it) are on a single pipe layout according to the BG man - not sure if that makes any difference?

Sponsored Links
Its usually the gas valve that causes noise and I've gone through several new ones before now before getting one that worked properly.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back