Big utility room or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering knocking the kitchen through into the utiliy room to make a bigger kitchen, I was then going to move the utility room into the study which is about 3 meters by 2.6 meters. The reason for this was so it can double up as an ironing room as the iron and ironing board is always out. I was also going to put in a ceiling clothes airer to free up more floor space, there will also be enough room for a coat cupboard something most houses seem to lack. My friend although pines after a bigger utility room herself thinks this is a bad idea from a selling point, she thinks although its what we want it might put most buyers off as they would prefer a study or 2nd sitting room. Just so you know I live in a 6 bedroom house so we currently use one of the smaller bedrooms as a study.

Opinions welcome

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Well, you have to ask yourself how long you envisage staying in your residence. If your going to stay there for the foreseeable future then blaze away. After all, it's not your friend that lives there. ;) ;)
(unless her name happens to be Sarah Beeny) ;) ;) ;)

What other 'reception' rooms do you have? A 6 bedroom house needs at least two. If you only have a combined lounge/diner then I'd be for keeping the study.

OTOH if you have plenty of downstairs rooms then a larger kitchen and separate utility/ironing room would probably be appealing. Is it the sort of neighbourhood where people have au pairs or cleaning ladies in who would work in the utility room whilst the family where in the kitchen?

Sponsored Links
OwainDIYer I wish we had severants etc but no it's your typical 3 storey house on a new housing estate. The downstairs currently consists of a lounge, study, kitchen, dining room, utility room and downstairs toliet, the kitchen is currently long and narrow by knocking into the utility room it will make a much wider kitchen but obviously the washer and dryer needs to go somewhere.

Click the link as in when the cursor goes over it click the cheaper solution :D

OwainDIYer I wish we had severants etc but no it's your typical 3 storey house on a new housing estate. The downstairs currently consists of a lounge, study, kitchen, dining room, utility room and downstairs toliet, the kitchen is currently long and narrow by knocking into the utility room it will make a much wider kitchen but obviously the washer and dryer needs to go somewhere.

If extending the kitchen makes it a "family kitchen diner" as beloved by Sarah Beeny then that may be more gained than lost.

Deluks thanks for recommending a poorly reviewed item, I'll give that a miss.

BigRobcanufixit I love it but not sure if my kitchen company make such a thing, I've still got to store all the ironing somewhere though.

Thanks for everyone's responses

You could consider doing it in such a way that it could be reversed before you sell the house at minimal cost.

eg block up not remove doors, use standalone sink units (eg Ikea Varde), potentially put a stud wall back in the arch you create etc.

Perhaps consider a plumbed in dehumidifier?

Ferdinand

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back