Bike ride - ouch!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I got the cycle comp set up and went out for 11 miles today. Found out I need a new saddle...

There's nothing wrong with the existing, save for the fact that after about 5 miles, my perineum aches and I get (no kidding, lads!) numbness then pins and needles in my you-know-what!!

I try riding with just one buttock on the saddle, which is comfy, but ever so difficult to pedal efficiently!

Need lots more padding!!

Anyone suffered this before?

Got my highest speed so far downhill and pedalling like burgery in 21st:

48 mph. Pity there wasn't a Gatso about!!

Sponsored Links
Firstly, well done! Cycling is an excellent way to keep fit and now I'm devoid of a driving license I keep meaning to buy a decent bike and get back at it myself. I used to have a top-of-the-range mountain bike when I was 16 and regularly did 50 miles a day. Now I'm 2 days short of 25 and my current bike is essentially a lump of pig-iron, it's a struggle to get to Morrisons and back!

There is no answer to your saddle problem, it's something you'll just get used to. Don't be fooled by all these silly gel seats, they're a waste of money. I find that if you're really trying to get up some speed you're off the saddle most of the time anyway.

On the speed note, what hill were you going down? :D My own personal record back in those days was only 42mph so you've beaten me! Just goes to show how flat Lincolnshire is!!!

Well, that 48mph is equal with my record... I was 16 and in a 30mph limit at the time, would have loved to see the coppers try to book me for that :LOL:

Perineal (or "barse") pressure is a common problem amongst male cyclists. You need to be careful though, damaging the nerves there can cause erectile disfunction.

If you can't find a comfy saddle, and you don't mind spending a big wodge, you could consider a recumbent. That is a bicycle where your legs are stretched out in front of you, and you sit in more of a deckchair than a saddle! Very comfy. Being quite a hefty chap, you've got a lot of weight pressing you down onto the saddle.

Amazing how when you are 10 you can cycle all day every day and never have a problem. As soon as you reach adulthood then a 2-mile cycle results in a John-Wayne gait! :LOL:

when i got my bike i also got a gel seat cover which is full of a gel that makes it feel like your bum is sliding about on the saddle but is very effective.they are held by string that you tighten under the saddle.

Sponsored Links
NotSkoda.jpg

Bit of 'cut and shut' down the scrapyard, should see SS well and truly wedgied... ;) :D :D

Oooh Errr, Pip!!

:eek:

I got a new saddle today - apparently this is a huge problem for blokes (and girls for that matter!) as the nerves and arteries can get pinched when sitting for prolonged periods on a saddle.

See here for good description:

http://www.63xc.com/willm/bike_sexhealth.htm

This site says that gel saddles are a good solution, and cutaways are not effective. But another site I looked at (sorry lost url) said cutaways are very effective.

In any case, I've bought a cutaway and it seems better, although I've only done 6 miles on it so far.

Crikey ...lol

last time I was on saddle was on a "Chopper" an before that a a "Tomahawk"....

sorry I tell a lie I did go up to that Oasis place at Cumbria a few years ago ...
I was with lots of extended family blah blah...

who on her side generally hate me , "I" paid £3700 for the digs for a week ,3 good chalets ,because my partner was missing her mum , who disowned her because of me ...ho-hum,,,lol

Anyway I kept well out the way ... I found it WONDERFUL to go walk about in the woods for hours in the morn an when the "rabble" had gone into the Water World complex , my "Peggy Sue "would make me a really gorgeous "English",all Fresh stuff , the sausages were delightful an other local stuff was the best ...lovely

Anyway I kept out of the way most of the week with her family but on the friday morn me an the "better one" went on a bike ride around the place ...
good stuff

Time and patience is what it takes, that type of distance, straight off, is too much. You need to build up more slowly, maybe every other day or less at first, to give you skin a chance of toughening up a bit. A new saddle is a waste of money otherwise, likewise wide saddles, which initally feel more comfortable, are actually worse. Many of these problems, with men, are caused by underpants and sweat, which is why you are not supposed to wear any when using proper cycling shorts. Also don't underestimate how warm it actually is and keep drinking plenty of water.

One of the sprung saddle stems helps if you are on rough ground or if the bike lacks rear suspension.

Hubble, bubble, toil - and possibly - permanent trouble... :mrgreen:

Converted to gallows in seconds - ready for summary justice by HMG's boys - If they ain't too busy with paperwork or battoning protestors clear of the Mancaster disunited Yankee bosses, for a bit of overtime.
BTW- How come I am paying for that, and 10000 lawmen at the G8 cost £50m (£5000 per head ... a 'kin joke !!)- but allegedly no one comes out to the odd breakin or three???

:D :D :D

Sponsored Links
Back